Reductions

Ricky26wales

I use to hate reductions, the more you the think about them the worse they turn out, i always just look at the highest point and work around it, commit myself on the height. you also need a groundy who is not afraid to point out dodgy lookin bits

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I second the secateurs, I did one and found I was using those more than the silky. Much quicker and a cleaner cut on a lot of the smallest stuff!

I've got a few side reductions coming up and I still get a bit wary on them. Having a good guy on the grind is key to help make sure they don't look daft!

Well said young 'un.

A good reduction should make you look twice to actually see if any thing has been taken off,Quarters is the best approach from the top down so you can clean hangers out and keep a good rope route, try not to rely on a groundy to site you in, usually if you think a bit is going to stick out it is!my first big reductions I found very daunting, years later I still find them one of the most satisfying and challenging jobs in Arb.

As above, the highest anchor point you can get is the first step.

When I started I found it helpful to keep my body facing my anchor and get your head right out above the edge of the crown - that way you can look around and see the shape from the edge. The hardest thing at first is to visualise the shape from the inside so if you can get right out to the tips it is much easier.

After that it's about cutting to nodes/growth points that will accentuate the natural shape. Try to cut to nodes that leave growth in a naturally flowing direction. Some species are easier than others that's for sure.

And always start at the top centre point and work away from that. Don't be tempted to work upwards or sideways. Practice makes perfect!

I have been doing it for 2 years and I got taught to imagine its an orange to peel in 4 sections (If that makes sense). Its probably the thing I dread most but you get job satisfaction when you do a really good job. Just go with your instincts. The worse bit is coming down the tree walking away from it and praying it looks good when you turn around to see it!! :biggrin:

Here is one I did its only pics I have....

002.jpg.a5bebd90180464e450464d35403d000f.jpg

001.jpg.e5babf2b2029dbac9ea44f3ee3d6dd23.jpg

010.jpg.038ff5fa195471460a6a886145e01f68.jpg

012.jpg.6d0e723d11f91c64c0973ef9435a280c.jpg