Hamadryads diary- a new chapter

I think its time to start over with this, I have come such a long way from my early entries, I felt it was time I gave this the very best of me and my ability in this area. Every now and then I evaluate how far I have come, I am my own worst critic, never allowing myself to feel secure in where I am or how far I have come. Looking both backward, and forward at THIS moment I can finaly feel that I excel in my chosen niche, and will not be making any apologies for that from here in! (skyhuck take note!:lol:)

When I first came to Arbtalk I found myself with an audience that appreciated me banging on and on and on about fungi, I had a few "personality clashes" but thats arbs for you, strong characters :thumbup: I had a mission, and I wasn't going to let a few disagreements put me off what has always been my number one goal, to raise the profile of the kingdom of fungi, to share images of these magnificent living things and to promote a deeper more comprehensive view of the role of the ecological importance of the relationship between fungi and trees or arb-mycota.

It was a lonely planet for me back then, my friends, my colleagues, no one really "got me" I was just some nut who liked fungi, something that was about as leftield and geeky as you could asign yourself to:001_smile: Now, well now its a very different tale, I have seen the rate of fungi images being posted go through the roof, and I have driven all over the U.K to meet some of you to see your finds and I have made many good friends along the way.:001_cool:

many of these meetings and friendships will be etched on my memory for all my days, Tobias, Ben Ballard, Andrew C, Sean, Tim, Janey and many, many others, but especialy my old monkey and partner in rotten crimes. It is no longer a lonely planet, in fact quite the opposite and i am glad to say that whilst your not quite as mad as I or Monkey yet your getting there, and the rot i always intended to spread is now linking it/us together like the mycelia cords of a macrolepiota in a pile of leaf mold

So heres to another season, about to begin the warm loving species will soon start, the hispidus then the Inonotus dryadeus, and soon after the season will begin in earnest and the dryads will come out to play once more.

So welcome to a new chapter in the life of a dryad, i hope it inspires more crazy meetings, much rolling in the dirt to capture an image of some obscure fruit, long may the rot continue...

oh and of course a picture post will shortly follow!

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Todays post comes via a beech we ( J & D Clarks of Chesham- AAAC) felled over two days (Thur/friday) The tree is around 60 -70 years old, the property was a new build ten years ago, decking had been built up around the base some time later. Many posts had been dug in to support the framework of the deck, and a boundary wall showed possible changes in level between properties during the site development. Obviously planning should have seen this root disturbance minimised, maybe ten years ago was different? I dont think so however, as this is still an all too regular theme amoung developments of all class and sizes.

I have no doubt that the root disturbances involving a change in levels on one side of the tree to within a metre or so, and the many holes dug for the timber framed decking was responsible for the early demise and colonisation by principal decay fungi, in this case Ganoderma sp (lipsiense/australe to be confirmed) kretzschmaria deusta and some indication of a slight colonisation of Armillaria sp, see images below.

As we can see in this overall view of the tree the crown is dying back more on one side, this later correlated with the majority of the decay and dysfunction being on that side of the main stem. Only very few vascular connections remained maybe sub 10% of the stem volume, and limited to a few remaining upper root regions.

Also worth mentioning that this tree was rigged down in its entirety, once all the limb wood was removed stability was evident and I was happy to rig substantial lumps of cord (upto around a 1/4 ton) But this doesn't mean to say YOU should do likewise, I had made my assessment as to our rigging specific sheet (see RR688 for example) and was more than happy with residual strengths. This is one of the reasons why mycology SHOULD be part of your arboricultural courses, fungal startegies and modes of decay are important to even the most modest arb because one MUST understand and be able to evaluate the scenario laid before them even in rigging situations such as this one. Understanding VTA (Visual Tree Assesment is also key in getting to grips with what is going on with YOUR tree, a vital component of the tree assemsent we must ALL make not just the consultants! so get yourself some VTA guides and a copy of Keizers encyclopedia, time you lot got up to speed!:001_tt2:

NEVER underestimate the value of understanding the fungi, they effect EVERY apsect of what WE do on a day to day basis.:001_smile:

This post could so easily have been one of you posting under the heading "would you climb this" and I hope that this post helps you on your ways to a better more informed approach.:thumbup1:

59765b93b9314_Ganobeeechdecay032.jpg.4ba03775ae537a158573045a7e4c6bdc.jpg

59765b93bbc45_Ganobeeechdecay007.jpg.1c8687b8ad13950b8f38657f6ad35713.jpg

[ATTACH]67952[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]67953[/ATTACH]

59765b93be7a3_Ganobeeechdecay020.jpg.77707239b8682971682577cfd1fab2e0.jpg

59765b93c22e2_Ganobeeechdecay025.jpg.49191a6989126fa2bb420162aa3deee0.jpg

59765b93c457f_Ganobeeechdecay026.jpg.5398e8a8e558b12080b83019f3e29cb3.jpg

59765b93c6f71_Ganobeeechdecay028.jpg.b451d7386c35127c19d06f2137f6d948.jpg

59765b93c9634_Ganobeeechdecay044.jpg.aaf7b24fa5940d53cecc4218f306653a.jpg

59765b93cb867_Ganobeeechdecay052.jpg.1ee9692a992b015b0adaf24acb95278a.jpg

59765b93ced2d_Ganobeeechdecay077.jpg.eedbb4011a839a07e57d617e5e2ffb1a.jpg

59765b93d244e_Ganobeeechdecay074.jpg.580a54e1fdb48dccb4998fc18ef97f7a.jpg

59765b93d54dc_Ganobeeechdecay084.jpg.ff84c3f8782980c6dfcfddde7ba4403a.jpg

59765b93d85eb_Ganobeeechdecay090.jpg.43ea22996c713e8b7f3ba85fdb100f16.jpg

59765b93dc286_Ganobeeechdecay101.jpg.a43bd00c5b147b4817281382ccf08dcf.jpg

Edited by Monkey-D

Lookin' forward to a whole new load of your posts, T, if for no other reason than some of the more, erm, heated debates you sometimes provoke :lol:

My myco' knowledge is still very limited and while I do find some of the stuff you, Monkey and Fungus post a bit hard going, I find them entertaining and very informative. I appreciate that you are more than happy to share your time and experience with us all.

Right, that's more than enough ego massaging for one night :thumbup1:.

Fair play Tony. I know I don't often agree with you but then life would be boring otherwise :001_tongue:

I do agree I should have a better idea of fungi than I do though.... perhaps in time.

The day everyone agrees with me is the day i find somehing new to "discuss":lol:

as usual interesting and thought provoking .enjoy your posts lots! keep up the good work :001_smile:.

cheers fella

some good turning wood there, or was it too far gone?

i was thinking the same thing, the gano sections where going but would have made fine bowls at least, was a crime.

Lookin' forward to a whole new load of your posts, T, if for no other reason than some of the more, erm, heated debates you sometimes provoke

My myco' knowledge is still very limited and while I do find some of the stuff you, Monkey and Fungus post a bit hard going, I find them entertaining and very informative. I appreciate that you are more than happy to share your time and experience with us all.

Right, that's more than enough ego massaging for one night

argh yes that "confrontational B......d" style of mine! lmao

as for massaging my ego, anytime:biggrin: