Hamadryads diary- a new chapter

You will find in many great txts on entomology/mycology, that the The Yellow Flat-footed Fly (Agathomyia wankowiczii) can ONLY be found on ganoderma applanatum, that the galls associated with the flys larvae are a key in identifying the brackets of G. applanatum. Last year both myself and Monkey had discussed on the forum the findings of Andy Overall in discovering and confirming with a field scope the galls of the flat footed fly on G. australe. At the time I mentioned that it may be (unsuccsesful oportunism) due to a lack of deadwood and applanatum in the modern landscape.

This may well be the first sighting of The Yellow Flat-footed Fly (Agathomyia wankowiczii) within the Sporocarp (fruiting body) of Ganoderma peifferi, I have to confirm wether this has been documented before, but I am 100% certain of the bracket ident and the galls being one and the same. Flat foots on G. pfeifferi

Tony,

I don't want to spoil the fun, but was the Ganoderma Andy Overall found microscopically checked and confirmed to be G. australe ? And without microscopical identification, I'm not convinced your Ganoderma is G. pfeifferi, to me it looks like old brackets of G. lipsiense becoming shiny after rainfall had washed off all the spores.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony,

I don't want to spoil the fun, but was the Ganoderma Andy Overall found microscopically checked and confirmed to be G. australe ? And without microscopical identification, I'm not convinced your Ganoderma is G. pfeifferi, to me it looks like old brackets of G. lipsiense becoming shiny after rainfall had washed off all the spores.

Then just for you I will return to site, take the bracket and bring it to you in october:thumbup1:

Now How did i know you would pull me up on this one! Im not in anydoubt, not even a little.:001_cool:

Tony,

Gerrit I don't think it was Andy Overall who discovered the connection, I believe it was the Suffolk Mycological Society on on of their Forays.

I believe that microscopic evidence was used to confirm, but (like Tony with his memory :001_tt2:) I may be a little off course.

I'll go check the info :001_smile:

Gerrit I don't think it was Andy Overall who discovered the connection, I believe it was the Suffolk Mycological Society on on of their Forays.

I believe that microscopic evidence was used to confirm, but (like Tony with his memory :001_tt2:) I may be a little off course.

I'll go check the info :001_smile:

MY memory:sneaky2: it was youre reference!

MY memory:sneaky2: it was youre reference!

I think the Andy Overall connection is about where he works (EH Kenwood) that it being suprissing that the old Beech woods there (lots of fallen decaying bio-mass) not having any of the flat footed galls on the applanatums, unlike the Whip where it's seemingly a very healthy association.

I think the Andy Overall connection is about where he works (EH Kenwood) that it being suprissing that the old Beech woods there (lots of fallen decaying bio-mass) not having any of the flat footed galls on the applanatums, unlike the Whip where it's seemingly a very healthy association.

dont matter we need to clear up the mess between us! lol

these science guys get totaly freaked when we talk about them!:biggrin:

I'll gladly be available for documenting your first find ever of Agathomyia wankowiczi on Ganoderma pfeifferi.

And I couldnt want a better man to share it with:thumbup1:

and if I end up with egg oin my face, I am sure I will have learnt much in the proscess of you showing me the error of my ways:thumbup1:

its win win in my eyes:thumbup: