Hamadryads diary- a new chapter

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not an overly common thing from my experience but as Tony says, it is to be noted.

David,

Quite common though at this height on large wounds on beech on the continent and mostly associated with, i.e. as a parasite of Bjerkandera adusta (photo).

And is the holly rooting in the decomposed wood deep inside the split ?

---

5976601ab3eb1_Witte-bultzwamBjerk.jpg.3903443fb45e35bf4fc2644d014ee8a2.jpg

And is the holly rooting in the decomposed wood deep inside the split ?

---

Thanks Gerrit.

Small shallow pocket in that instance, though I have seen what would appear to be the seperation/jacking of weakly attached included branch unions in similar situations with holly/rhododendron/elder

I am starting to realise the monumental task that is bringing all those working in arboriculture to a common thinking, one "gang" wants to stop pruning and favours the fell and replace option, another gang says prune, one gang says decay is demonic, another delightful.

the truth lies somewhere betwixt the two extremes and something I try so hard and in vain to achieve, for one without the other is not truth.

Trees and fungi are one organism, from mycorhizea to principal decay fungi, the tree is not healthy because it has no fungi, a tree is not beautifull because it is pristine. a tree is a joy to behold for it is much more than just a tree, it is a flow form of great power and presence with a capacity for more inclusions of life than any other organism on earth.

There are many so called "experts" in my field who seem to be of the illusion that decay can be avoided, and that once decay begins the tree is no longer "healthy" this is a great lie, and one you must all avoid and revolt against.

• 3 months later...
I am starting to realise the monumental task that is bringing all those working in arboriculture to a common thinking, one "gang" wants to stop pruning and favours the fell and replace option, another gang says prune, one gang says decay is demonic, another delightful.

the truth lies somewhere betwixt the two extremes and something I try so hard and in vain to achieve, for one without the other is not truth.

Trees and fungi are one organism, from mycorhizea to principal decay fungi, the tree is not healthy because it has no fungi, a tree is not beautifull because it is pristine. a tree is a joy to behold for it is much more than just a tree, it is a flow form of great power and presence with a capacity for more inclusions of life than any other organism on earth.

There are many so called "experts" in my field who seem to be of the illusion that decay can be avoided, and that once decay begins the tree is no longer "healthy" this is a great lie, and one you must all avoid and revolt against.

I love Tony's posts and after a couple whiskys a post like this blows my mind I wish I could write stuff like that I agree with a lot he has to say the balance and even unbalance of things if that makes sence?

Keep up the good work Hama

What a great read :) just recently caught the fungi hunting bug and always found them whenever I wasn't looking for them. Very knowledgable arborist Tony

I love Tony's posts and after a couple whiskys a post like this blows my mind I wish I could write stuff like that I agree with a lot he has to say the balance and even unbalance of things if that makes sence?

Keep up the good work Hama

Thanks guys.

Some seem to try very hard to detract from the work of Claus Mattheck, but take my word for it if you take the time to understand it all deeply and not just take a shallow overview of it all youll see that it all has a very deeply significant contribution to make to our daily lives as arborists. Even yesterday I discovered yet another way in which force cone thinking has altered my thinking and sense of forces. i was doing my IPAF 1 B training and we got onto the subject of setting up a mewp on a banke that had been worked. It was Claus and his teachings in force cones that enabled me to converse and communicte my understanding of the placement and forces applied by the footprint/outriggers of a MEWP on such a zone.

These thinking tools Shear squares, tensile triangles and force cones are VERY significant and will enable all to understand forces in a way that becomes intuative and natural. follow the Claus miester, he is the guvnor:thumbup1:

Came here to post a link to a new claus vid

! Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad