Hows the log sales going now

mendiplogs

That will never work - to dry timber successfully you need constant temperature and good airflow. There are numerous threads on here that will demonstrate just that and the free advice within those threads will point you in the right direction if you plan to take the forced drying course. Better to spend the time with family at this time of year imo. 

Like I said it’s a work in progress.
Yes - it’s a Pressvess retort. The only single barrel one at present.
My business is 7 days a week, 350 days a year.
I’ve successfully lowered m/c already so that the timber could be cooked for charcoal with a pre-burn.

Most of my firewood is dried undercover in mesh stillage cages, I just want to see what’s possible with the retort....

Like I said it’s a work in progress.
Yes - it’s a Pressvess retort. The only single barrel one at present.
My business is 7 days a week, 350 days a year.
I’ve successfully lowered m/c already so that the timber could be cooked for charcoal with a pre-burn.

Most of my firewood is dried undercover in mesh stillage cages, I just want to see what’s possible with the retort....

7 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

That will never work - to dry timber successfully you need constant temperature and good airflow. There are numerous threads on here that will demonstrate just that and the free advice within those threads will point you in the right direction if you plan to take the forced drying course. Better to spend the time with family at this time of year imo. 

Go stick a log in your oven, I guarantee it will dry.

• Like 1

Go stick a log in your oven, I guarantee it will dry.

for best results cook from frozen ! i saw a study done on drying logs and there was a section that went through and explained why wood dries quicker if it’s been frozen then thawed prior to drying, something to do with the water as it freezes shattering the cell structure so that it will give its water more readily, worked better on hardwood, it’s not really practical unless you can get mother nature’s help, otherwise think how much energy would have been expended in freeze then force dry, but an interesting thought.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bustergasket said:

for best results cook from frozen ! i saw a study done on drying logs and there was a section that went through and explained why wood dries quicker if it’s been frozen then thawed prior to drying, something to do with the water as it freezes shattering the cell structure so that it will give its water more readily, worked better on hardwood, it’s not really practical unless you can get mother nature’s help, otherwise think how much energy would have been expended in freeze then force dry, but an interesting thought.

Eeek I had better get all next years wood cut sooner rather than later then they might get a good freezing if we ever get a winter. 

2 hours ago, Bustergasket said:

That makes a lot of sence, I've always found that timber left out that got snowed on is bad to burn, Maybe it's the freezing that lets more water in.