Good idea or not?

mark_goldfinch

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark, I believe your boss is offering a way of "paying forward" a favor. You are a very fortunate person. I believe you will cover yourself with the many suggestions regarding all insurance and other important stuff. In the future you will be given the opportunity to also "pay forward" your bosses kind offer. I wish you the best. Lot's of good advise, take it in good health/wealth.

elg

hello all.

boss at work is happy for me to use equipment for private work for a small fee. Its up to me how far I take it, What is there stopping me sticking an advert in my local paper and seeing what comes from it. obviously i would need to take out some public liability insurance. And if I get stuck with any thing i have the right people on hand to help me out. . how did you start things for yourselves?

Advise needed please.

In answer to your first question of sticking an ad in, theres nothing stopping you.

Your statesment on insurance, you dont have to take out public liability insurance as its not law, but best to just in case plus its costs next to nothing.

Second question, I started my own business but went subbing 90% of the time and advertised to pick up my own work.

Good luck.:thumbup1:

R you sure PL insurance costs next to nothing for tree work??:confused1:

Well it's cheaper than my car insurance that's for sure.:laugh1:

I'll have to check but iirc for me it's aound £600-700.

In the grand scheme of things it's nothing, especially compared to what it could cost without it.

Think mine is £350 compared to the £3000 a van is. :thumbdown:

Well it's cheaper than my car insurance that's for sure.:laugh1:

I'll have to check but iirc for me it's aound £600-700.

In the grand scheme of things it's nothing, especially compared to what it could cost without it.

Is that one guy with helper climbing and felling large trees- above 6 metres

If so- that's pretty good :thumbup:

Mark, I think you knew the answer to your question before you posted, thats why you have dismissed all the advice except from the ones that agree with you/your boss.

Go for it if he says its ok. I would expect he would want fifty percent of whatever you make in return for truck and chipper (thats a massive lend) then it sounds like you want to spend the next 45% on a website/cards etc etc. Pointless operation if you ask me, it will end in tears.

As a new enterprise you will attract customers who have had a quote already or who at least know what prices to expect and you will be offered the chance to do shitty work for half price if you want it. Good luck to you, you'll be taking small jobs away from other businesses that rely on small jobs to keep the employees busy.

Its not that long ago you were looking for work, now you have found it with a good employer its not good enough for you?

We all did the occasional saturday job when we started out, there is nothign wrong with that. One a month fo rexample can give you some good extra spendign money. Cash in hand, no worries. But to create a website and advertise means you will need insurance, and to pay tax on it. For what can only be 52 days a year if your prepared to give up your private/social life.

When are you going to look at all these jobs that come in? Evening now for sure, but in the winter its dark so looking at jobs is often doen on saturday, so some saturdays will be quoting (if you get any enquiries) so that means less than 52 days available for work. Not many folk will want you there on a sunday.

Gets some work in first, by chatting to folk (business cards if you have to) but dont go mad just yet. Save the website for another day and try and listen to the advice that you have asked for.