Good idea or not?

mark_goldfinch

It's a good opportunity but as Mark says you need to cover yourself.

The trouble is with arb work is you have to do a lot of it to pay. You'll have to get your own 3rd Party as you say but also if someone is helping you employers liability.

Also what if the chipper gets nicked etc? I know very unlikely but it can and does happen.

How about focusing on maybe doing hedge trimming? Good money, much less liability, no need for the chipper.... then all you need is to borrow the truck and hedge trimmer.

Your boss sounds a top man!

yeah rob just hoping to start small with a few bits hear and there then see if word of mouth gets about abit before gtting to big for my boots.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as long as it works both ways i mean if hes quiet and your busy,you can help him out the same as hes doing for you,sounds a decent guy, my boss is a diamond with in reason i can borrow anything,any time .Look after each other is the motto here,good luck.

cheers brian, id be on to a winner if i ever got that busy mate some how i think i wont be.

Sounds like a great idea but a couple of things you might want to think about. Get something in writing between the two of you so you both know the boundaries. A bit like a pre nup. Like others have said, save for your own kit so you don't start to extract the michael otherwise what is good natured now could rapidly turn sour. Repay the favour shown to you whenever you can, don't let it be all one way traffic. This way the relationship shopuld stay sweet. If you get plenty of your own work make sure you look after your boss first when he needs help. Basically don't bite the hand that feeds and make sure you remember who gave you the leg up. Most importantly make sure you have all the neccessary insurances.

Go for it! Always return stuff re-filled and clean, nothing worse than lending someone a chipper and it comes back covered in mud. Sounds like your boss has taken you under his wing and is letting you spread them to better your future. Also if you do ding something own up and offer to put it right. I lent my 88 out once and they bent the bar! By running it over with the truck.

hello all.

boss at work is happy for me to use equipment for private work for a small fee. Its up to me how far I take it, What is there stopping me sticking an advert in my local paper and seeing what comes from it. obviously i would need to take out some public liability insurance. And if I get stuck with any thing i have the right people on hand to help me out. . how did you start things for yourselves?

Advise needed please.

In answer to your first question of sticking an ad in, theres nothing stopping you.

Your statesment on insurance, you dont have to take out public liability insurance as its not law, but best to just in case plus its costs next to nothing.

Second question, I started my own business but went subbing 90% of the time and advertised to pick up my own work.

Good luck.:thumbup1: