30,th of june strike action

Johny Walker

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pensions?....I wouldn't trust anyone with my pension money in the UK (not that I've ever been able to scrimp any savings away whatsoever!). Better off buying property, no government can take it away from you...(and it ain't gonna get any cheaper!).

Lets face the facts people, there are millions of useless mouths that are being fed by the working people of this country...and only so much money for all of us when we all retire to water the roses.

The sums just don't add up..we're in for a hard time when we're old, grey and wrinkly :(

My best example of public sector inefficiency is the local council sawmill up in Beecraigs country park. Visiting it one day to see their operation I was amazed by the level of machinery (huge Stenner and enough secondary kit to fill the 20 by 30 metre shed) but stunned by the lack of productivity. The saw operator said to me that they just produce enough to stay open, and no more. All that equipment, 2 to 3 men operating the mill at all times and only producing around 3 cubic metres of posts and rails a day. A good woodmizer operator would easily do twice that for a fraction the cost.

I used to be very left wing in my younger days, but I'm not sure that we know how to operate this enormous bureaucratic machine we call the state anymore. It would be fine if there was a decent work ethic, but all to often, people end up in a public sector job because they can't function in a commercial environment. There is an old adage that you never get fired from the council, just reassigned!

Additionally, the truly comedy thing about the sawmill is that it's sat in the middle of about 900 acres of good productive spruce. However, the timber that is felled on site is sold elsewhere, and all the sawlogs milled at Beecraigs are brought in. Utter madness!

Pensions?....I wouldn't trust anyone with my pension money in the UK (not that I've ever been able to scrimp any savings away whatsoever!). Better off buying property, no government can take it away from you...(and it ain't gonna get any cheaper!).

Lets face the facts people, there are millions of useless mouths that are being fed by the working people of this country...and only so much money for all of us when we all retire to water the roses.

The sums just don't add up..we're in for a hard time when we're old, grey and wrinkly :(

As above.The tensions between the baby boomers with all the property and pensions and the young folk who have to pay for it all whilst being told they'll get nothing at the end of it could well be a source of much political conflict in the future.

Every penny I make gets reinvested in the business. I'll get rich or die trying! :thumbup: