Get 'ARB Approved' for FREE!!!

AA Teccie (Paul)

Have you ever thought .....

I think that it is a real shame that you feel this way. Last year (IIRC) the AA appeared on this forum to great criticism along the lines of your post, and I think the proof that they are really trying to address concerns raised back then that are similar to concerns raised by yourself, show their comitment to becoming a more encompasing and less elitist body, moving towards a goal of representing our industry on a wider scale.

I was one of those that vociferously protested the apprearance of elitism at the time, and several other issues that those of us who run small businesses have with the AA as was. Is it perfect? No not yet, and probably never will be for everyone, but the small contrarctor scheme that has been introduced, and now this initiative around that scheme can only point in the right direction IMO, helping towards an inclusive body.

Keep it up AA. We are definitely moving forward:thumbup1:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can say from experiance first hand that the AA badge means in real product to the public 0 !!!!! sorry to sound negative but this is my own experiance.

I have worked for AA firms that do the 020 for ground work, climb and cut wearing jeans, have no idea of correct pruning cutts etc

I agree that the industry needs some representation but it must and should be one that all tree owners are aware of not just the local autorities who subcontract firm and use it as a measure of that subcontractor.

If AA Tech would, i would like to chat this over face to face as its some thing that realy chews my asre.

If next person that phones me for a quote etc says are you an AA arborist then i might eat my hat and for now i think that hats safe.

As none of my customershave every heard of the arb ass and the i only live a couple of miles from there old HQ ??????????

Again sorry but in my eyes the aa need to be a (tree)house hold name.

Just my opinion shot me if you wish :thumbup:

I can say from experiance first hand that the AA badge means in real product to the public 0 !!!!! sorry to sound negative but this is my own experiance.

I have worked for AA firms that do the 020 for ground work, climb and cut wearing jeans, have no idea of correct pruning cutts etc

I agree that the industry needs some representation but it must and should be one that all tree owners are aware of not just the local autorities who subcontract firm and use it as a measure of that subcontractor.

If AA Tech would, i would like to chat this over face to face as its some thing that realy chews my asre.

If next person that phones me for a quote etc says are you an AA arborist then i might eat my hat and for now i think that hats safe.

As none of my customershave every heard of the arb ass and the i only live a couple of miles from there old HQ ??????????

I have been in your position, standing on the outside shouting about the negative aspects of the scheme.

However I have to say over the last 15 years the AA have listened and reacted to the industries criticisms, changing albeit slowly and now are really becoming the body we have needed.

As for bad practice by Approved contractors they will be found out. It is inevitable with 5 yearly assessments and 2 year partial assessments there is less time to hide. The new group of people driving the association forward are real tree people like you and me, honest and approachable with a desire to make our industry recognised for the skill and quality we deserve.

The quickest way to effect change is from within.

Rant over

i think becoming an aaac is a good goal to aim for. some do still produce sub standard work, and at the moment it is only people in the industry/LA that know who and wot the aa are about, and a real effort has to be made by the aa to inform the public as to wot they and their approved contractors are about to be of any gain really in becoming aaac.

Lets not chew over the old fat any longer, yes criticism was over-due in the past, but Paul (AA Techie) came on here and took that criticism on the chin on behalf of the AA. I have seen now that he (and others) have taken note of the greatest voice in the Arb sector, and are starting to implement changes in their organisation. I, for one, applaud their efforts and thank them for taking time out to listen to us lets work together with them so as to make it beneficial to all.

Afternoon all,

I posted a thread in here in february, The main krux of it was to make arbtalk members aware of a group that I had been asked to chair, the Arborists Working Group, AWG. The group consists of a range of arborists/contractors all commited to taking our industry forwards.

Since that date, the AA have shown strong support of the group, inparticular with regards to a vision of the group, to get something put in place for the Arbfair.

As such we will have some literature available at the arbfair, that will briefly highlight what it is that we are trying to do. It is undecided yet how we will setup for the show, but one thing that is certain, we need your input.

If you do see us hanging around at the show, please feel free to come over and have a chat, share the problems that you have encountered in your working lives, and give us some topics to work through over the coming months.

Please also feel free to come over and either compliment the work of the AA or criticise it, we are hoping that this will be a good opportunity for the industry to voice its concerns through a direct action group (awg) so as to try and make efforts to put things right for future progression, All comments are welcome.

Sorry for any thread derail Paul.

Thanks Jaime Bray

P.S. Apologies if I do not respond to any questions quickly, Im currently revising for exams next week. cheers.

Edited by jaime bray

I think that it is a real shame that you feel this way. Last year (IIRC) the AA appeared on this forum to great criticism along the lines of your post, and I think the proof that they are really trying to address concerns raised back then that are similar to concerns raised by yourself, show their comitment to becoming a more encompasing and less elitist body, moving towards a goal of representing our industry on a wider scale.

I was one of those that vociferously protested the apprearance of elitism at the time, and several other issues that those of us who run small businesses have with the AA as was. Is it perfect? No not yet, and probably never will be for everyone, but the small contrarctor scheme that has been introduced, and now this initiative around that scheme can only point in the right direction IMO, helping towards an inclusive body.

Keep it up AA. We are definitely moving forward:thumbup1:

At looooooooooooooooooooooong last we woke up and listened, sorry it took so long but better late than never (hopefully!)

We always desired to be representative but, in ignorance, actually worked in splendid isolation....still that's in the past and moving forward we are...THANKs to you all.

Best to all..

Paul

T'be honest 'TreeGeek' (great name!) I'd rather discuss general matters in open forum so everyone benefits. If you have particular issues with specific companies have you spoken with them directly? I'm not naive to think they are perfect, by any means, and often, with expansion, standards slip, and sometimes significantly, and controlling them is very difficult.

This is one of te reasons we have introduecd the more frequent re-inspections and I'm confident this will help. Ultimately tho I'm sure HSE would be most interested in osme of teh practices you cite...as indeed would I if you have clear evidence.

Regarding the public not knowing about teh Arb Assoc, I know this only too well and I wonder if MoP know about NICEI for elctricians or BALI for landscapers etc. In part, it's down to those who see benefit and support the scheme to help spread the word such that compentent arborists / tree surgeons become associated with the ARB Approved Contractor sattus and logo.

AA is never gonna be a household name, realistically other than maybe 'CORGI' (now 'GAS SAFE...how many home owners are aware of that change?), no industry scheme is. The FC, perhaps Woodland Trust and RHS but people, keen gardeners, can become memebrs of teh last two.

In the current difficult economic climate several applications are being received form long established businesses, working principally in the domestic / residentila sectors, who are looking for a recognition to make them stand above the ''bob a job tree cutter'' and with the new small business accreditation they now can.

So, where would you like me to send the applictaion form?, ha.

At the end of the day all I ask is you consider my comments above and post back, call me, shoudl you wish to discuss further...tahnk you!

Cheers..

Paul