Contractors rates

Urubaen

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think working abroad is better paid. When i worked in Vienna i was on 1800 euros per month take home but got double wage in June and November and usually got 2000 tax back a year and no questions asked on sick days because you pay high taxes out there. Health care system was good and the beer was AMAZING! Hopefully going back there this summer for another 3 months.

Is he employed by them or "freelance" as well? Sounds like your whole family is being screwed. Freelance means you choose who to work for out of your list of companies that want you. That might mean doing days for those that book you well enough in advance, or those who pay the most, its up to you which of those things is more important (pay or security) if you have neither of those things then you are not freelance.

no his "freelance" aswell, though never worked for anyone else, its just annoying that. though all shall come to a end soon

The way I have always worked is to have a second string to the bow. I charge at least £300 a day to service large diesel generators If someone drags a petrol honda down my drive it goes back up again as i cant earn a living from it. I enjoy my log business and dont need to sell those cheap either because i have done 3 days that week on the gensets. When you dont need work you can price it high and u will find u still get it. But if u desperately need it to survive its a bigger gamble. £100 a day seems low for the skills and danger you guys have even on paye let alone self employed. Remember you have no paid holiday or sick pay and I bet half of us have no pension plan. Good luck and stay safe.

no his "freelance" aswell, though never worked for anyone else, its just annoying that. though all shall come to a end soon

Sounds like a difficult situation, good luck with it.

Freelance should mean that you call the shots, you decide who to work for each week, how much to charge etc.

Of course you cant charge the earth, you have to be competitive, but working for one person is not freelance.

I beleive the UK is saturated with adequate Climbers,thus the day rate remains low.

Rates in Countries where the work is seasonal will always be more than more temperate Climates,it has to be to attract staff.Also in the case of Scandinavia the cost of living is much higher.

Twenty years ago people were making huge money Climbing in Germany,I caught the tail end of that in the late 90's.Then ten years ago,Sweden paid the highest wages,now with established firms recruiting from a large labour Pool in the UK the wages have dropped,however they are still higher than the UK.