Contractors rates

Urubaen

Does a contract climber supply thier own kit?...Van, saws, fuel blower,insurance etc....Then 120 a day would not be worth getting out of bed for! more like 250 a day.

If its 120 to turn up and use other peoples kit and not have the overheads of van insurance fuel etc then that sounds like good money to me.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does a contract climber supply thier own kit?...Van, saws, fuel blower,insurance etc....Then 120 a day would not be worth getting out of bed for! more like 250 a day.

If its 120 to turn up and use other peoples kit and not have the overheads of van insurance fuel etc then that sounds like good money to me.

No, i only ask for climbing kit and saw. Covered by my insurance, fuel, blower, etc.

it has seemed to be 100 a day for years now,i seem to get five easyish days a week,with the occasional 180 day,rather that than three brutal days at 140!

True, with me id rather hire in climbers on a job than do it myself (kind of started to re-enjoy working the lowering ropes), i climb most days alternating trees with the guys i've hired in. TBH i think the guys i hire rarely get contracted in for those horrible trees just normal everyday trees.

I'd rather pay one very good climber top money, it takes the hassle out of the job, the jobs get done more efficiently, nine times out of ten we get done early and I have more time to look for more work (and more quality time too). It is a learning curve, you have to serve the time on a lesser income to eventually get up to a standard where they become top earners. Dont get disillusioned with it, just get on with it, learn from it, and make things happen for yourself when you are good and ready.:001_smile:

i can but my old man works with them, if i go he will lose out on work until they get a new climber. so i cant just leave them.

Is he employed by them or "freelance" as well? Sounds like your whole family is being screwed. Freelance means you choose who to work for out of your list of companies that want you. That might mean doing days for those that book you well enough in advance, or those who pay the most, its up to you which of those things is more important (pay or security) if you have neither of those things then you are not freelance.

I'd rather pay one very good climber top money, it takes the hassle out of the job, the jobs get done more efficiently, nine times out of ten we get done early and I have more time to look for more work (and more quality time too). It is a learning curve, you have to serve the time on a lesser income to eventually get up to a standard where they become top earners. Dont get disillusioned with it, just get on with it, learn from it, and make things happen for yourself when you are good and ready.:001_smile:

mr collins, that about sums it up :thumbup1:

Is their any good climbers up your way Andy?