Stein Arbor-trolley arrived

Gareth Dalzell

Yes i am, i have my plans drawn up, it's for MY personal use and not for sale. with a set if wheels and the metal work plus a few hrs in the workshop with the welder i can make one for round the 80 quid mark.

i would love to buy one and could do tomorrow BUT i cannot bring myself round to spending 400 qiud on a funny shaped wheelbarrow.

Thats my feed back.....i hope it sells well for you though.

i made one, its handy but since getting my small chipper my days of dragging are numbered:thumbup:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting the pictures Gareth and showing how veratile the Arbor-Trolley really is both for Arb work and Landscaping work.

I am sure in time you will find even more uses for this peice of equipment.

Fencing posts next maybe?

Theocus, can i suggest you simply pick up the telephone and talk with us first to discuss this issue pior to airing your option without having discussed and being explained the facts as to why there is some play. You can contact us very easily by calling us 0161 483 5542 thank you.

So what's the answer please Nigel? I too was surprised at the play between drawbar and frame; the rattling from the play is the only noise the trolley makes in use!

Also I have been surprised that I can't walk forwards holding the handles with both hands behind my back; I kick the foot with my heel if I do. Pulling the loaded trolley from off centre with one hand is crucifying my back. Could the handles not have been mounted on a steeper stem, i.e. with the foot further back?

Not criticising - asking.

Cheers,

Jon

Hi Jon. I'm sorry to read the trolley has already not met with your approval. I'll answer within your quot in bold, just easier that way.

I've never actually used the the 3-piece trolly by the way, only the 2 piece that came before it. Paul, the engineer had to make it 3 piece purely for post and packing. I can only assume though that it works just the same once put together.

So what's the answer please Nigel? I too was surprised at the play between drawbar and frame; the rattling from the play is the only noise the trolley makes in use! Yes, their is play there, and they are the closest matching sections available. But what is the issue with the play, the noise of it? Its not going to exessively wear away or anything, its mild steel. Mild steel can distort quite easily, but it cant stretch, so another adjoining part would have to distort also to alow the first part to distort..... and the way that part gets loaded it does seem unlikely if you load the trolley sensibly.

Also I have been surprised that I can't walk forwards holding the handles with both hands behind my back; I kick the foot with my heel if I do. To be honest Jon I never even thought about pulling the trolley behind my back....because when the load stability relies purely on balance (2 wheels), then I personally need to be looking at the object to keep it from tipping one way or the other. Also, because our arms only bend at the elbows in one direction (forwards), the handle length would otherwise have to be made adjustable to suit people of different height and arm lengths. at yet more expense....but while walking backwards there is obviously no need within reason, because we can adjust by bending at the elbows. Do you know what I am saying Jon? Pulling the loaded trolley from off centre with one hand is crucifying my back. Ive never personally felt or heard anyone speak that kind of discomfort....so with all due respect, either my back is exceptionally good, or yours is quite bad Could the handles not have been mounted on a steeper stem, i.e. with the foot further back? Yes we could have had a foot here and an inch there etc, but where do you stop, and at what cost? Last week I watched a couple of co-workers use one to take a sycamore trunk out of a back yard, several 6x2 ft sections. They simply stood the trolley upright and pry'd the logs on lengthways, like you would a dolly/sack-truck, and then spun the logs around while they were on the trolley so they'd go through the gate way....saved so much messing about in the back yard. Now thats what I'm talking about.

There's obviously been some discontent about the price by you guys. Well the feeling is not a good one this side of the fence either. Everyone involved is very disappointed at what it ammounts to for the end user I can tell you....but that is the cost of UK manufacturing right now, especially in the steel industry. They could be manufactured much cheaper in the far east, of course, if it was a massive order. But would you gamble with your own/that amount of money over there while trying to pruduce a quality product? The trolley did have some forethought go into its design also....the strenght ought to be sufficient and in the right places, it didn't just fall together in a random order.

Not criticising - asking. No problem at all. I might not be able to further answer right away this week as I'm busy moving cars till late in the evenings....just so you know I'm not ignoring anyone. Thanks

Cheers,

Jon

Re price. I too thought it was expensive for what it is. But having now used one and witnessed the increase in productivity, sheer usefulness and energy saving, I believe the price is justafiable & will pay for itself within a year. Just watch the rate at which timber dissapears 1 trolley:4 wheelbarrows. Can't be bad?

Irony is, I can't afford one ;-)

loving the homemade attitude of the northern boys, keep at it, would like to see what you come up with as I have been toying with the idea of an arb specific barrow for a coupla years after watching a guy using a carpet trolley.