getting undercut !!!!!!

Johny Walker

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha. Get in!

They love it really Nick!

yeah.. shes used to it mate.. my grandad always said behind every sucessful man is a good woman.. couldnt be truer.. most wouldnt put up with the 5.30am starts and comin home in early hours durin harvest.. as pic in avatar shows faye comes to where ever i'm workin [which could be 30 miles away] at least once a day bringin refreshments.. a flask is ok but tea doesnt taste too good after its been in there 13 or so hrs..

Down here in North Devon the pricing war has gone stupid. I've quoted a couple of jobs in the last few weeks. 1st was a full day, 2 guys, dismantle I put £400 on the job the lady said that was ridiculous as the other tree guy was £260 cheaper:confused1:

The 2nd job, load of conifers 3 guy chapter 8 kit needed, me £2000 the other guy £1000

I'm sick of it I won't lower my day rate ever but feel I'm missing out on work.:thumbdown:

If the 2nd job was the fremington conifers I quoted it at £1050, we had 4 guys on site in total (myself, neil, tractor and big trailer with driver/labour(£100) and chipper with opperator/labour(£200). we used priority boards as it was within the 30mph zone, and our yard is only round the corner (only 2 loads of timber with tractor, and 2 loads of chip), started at 9, finished at 2. So minus the tractor and chipper (£300 total) left us with £750 as a (part) day rate.

• 2 weeks later...

Eve'nin.

Just lost a job.

Me €2800 6 days for 2 men and a wee chipper.

Winners, €2100 2 days for 3-4 men and a crane fed bandit.

Guess I was punching above my weight on this one...hey ho.

I am wondering if there us a better markup on smaller jobs than bigger ones...

Lost the stumpgrinding too by oooodles if euros because I quoted by the cm rathers than look at the job on a global scale.

Still,it's all good experience win or lose.

Ty

Eve'nin.

Just lost a job.

Me €2800 6 days for 2 men and a wee chipper.

Winners, €2100 2 days for 3-4 men and a crane fed bandit.

Guess I was punching above my weight on this one...hey ho.

I am wondering if there us a better markup on smaller jobs than bigger ones...

Lost the stumpgrinding too by oooodles if euros because I quoted by the cm rathers than look at the job on a global scale.

Still,it's all good experience win or lose.

Ty

Yeah, but think of how much they stand to lose if they dont work for a day or a week. If you have the big kit you can undercut but you cant afford not to!

Just Priced a job to fell 40 confers and stack in 3 piles for the owner to burn at £1000, the owner said the other quote was £3000 not sure what planet the other guys are on or wheather they want to do a few jobs and retire but Ill be in and out in a day and a half.