getting undercut !!!!!!

Johny Walker

I guess in many parts of the country there just is not enough work.

If you wanted to set up from new in any industry you would have to work out your potential client base.

Tree companies set up regardless of competition, geography etc.. I think it must be down to the want to work in trees blinding the contractor the need for the service required.

Nick, would you buy all this kit if you were not already doing Agri work?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what the most profitable set-up in tree work would be then (and I totally agree that the return on investment in ag kit and earth plant is poor)?

You can earn £250 in a day with a Silky and a set of loppers or £5k in a day with big kit, but which costs a fortune to buy, run and maintain.

There must be some optimum point for expenditure vs. profit in arb.

Where is it?!!!!!!!!

Gloria chipper in a quad trailer behind your family car, nothing removed off site. Without a doubt the most profitable way I have ever done it.

All the farmers I know are enjoying mega high grain prices and are buying new kit like there's no tomorrow as it's 90% tax deductable, spend it before the tax man gets it!! Bit of this current farming wealth might filter down to us tree cutters!! :thumbup:

We have the same issues with under cutters as well. Continue to be patient and do the best job you are trained to do. All of the under cutters soon drift away since they do not understand the cost of conducting business. usually here in the states when these type Professionals appear on the market their equipment is usually worth about 5 cent's on the dollar within in 12 months or less. They never learn, but I think you just did.

I wonder what the most profitable set-up in tree work would be then (and I totally agree that the return on investment in ag kit and earth plant is poor)?

You can earn £250 in a day with a Silky and a set of loppers or £5k in a day with big kit, but which costs a fortune to buy, run and maintain.

There must be some optimum point for expenditure vs. profit in arb.

Where is it?!!!!!!!!

Very good question, I have often though that my biggest money makers are the 6in timberwolf and tipper transit. A lot of the other stuff I have bought,

Tipping Landys and bigger tracked chippers were bought for the wrong reasons (desire for boys toys) and have been a bit of an albatross.

try going out with 60 grands worth of tractor and hedge cutter on back worth 20 to 30k and gettin £30-35 an hour if your lucky.. or same tractor with 70 grands worth of big baler on back to earn£2500 in 18 hrs if your lucky..and thats not profit.. i did job today to remove 60metres of 8ft high and 6ft wide privet hedge and grind all roots out.. didnt get there till 10.. back in yard by 4.. used 2 litres petrol prob 30 litres diesel in mog and grinder and job was £1100 and we did one 1st thing for £150.. trust me theres nothing else that earns money like tree work for the machinery thats used..

Nick I'm guessing you're a farmer or agricultural contractor?

Very true Dave.

I never ask what other peoples prices are. If you need to do that you can't price properly.

Discussing it after you have done/not done the job is ok, market research doesn't hurt.

Being deliberately unfercut, sometimes by a fiver, is very different to being beaten by a genuine cheaper quote.

Nick I'm guessing you're a farmer or agricultural contractor?

yes mate.. we farm around 1000 acres.. used to do lot of agricultural contractin... not anymore... thats a mugs game.. tree work is the main work load to be honest.. farmin only takes few months of year up and rest of year it gets fitted in around tree work.. also have skip hire company..