getting undercut !!!!!!

Johny Walker

I disagree.

I know the gear my Competition has,so when it comes to the big jobs I know roughly what its going to cost them to hire in the gear I OWN.

So my quote is what I estimate the competion would charge to hire in that gear plus a little bit.If I get the job great,if not,they are working for less that what I want my gear running for.

what i'm tryin to say is if i price a job down the road to take down say a big beech or oak tree that could be felled [or fell the butt], and say the butt is 30ft long and 3 to 4ft diameter, i no i can get in there with my 12inch chipper, and lift the butt in couple sections with the tele handler onto my 14 ton trailer. now i no from experience that the job for any average tree guys in my area would take them 3 days with at least 3 men. [most work in cuttin, loadin and clearin butt and all saw dust] but i no i can do it in less than a day.. no matter how hard i try i'll never price the job for 3 days, yeah i do price it well and earn serious money from those sorta jobs but still cant help but feel its the customer who benefits.. same with stump grindin.. since i bought a bigger machine i'm always pricing for the big one [assumin i can get it in the site] and as the big ones easier and lot quicker i'l tend to price stumps bit cheaper than if i were usin smaller one..

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When in France...

Possibly the chainsaw capital of Europe.

Almost every one ones a saw and will have a go.

Its like some kind of weekend gallic rite to climb a tree in plimsoles smoking a gallois with half tank of muscadet swilling around in your head.

Brave bastards I say...

Sounds like a typical Friday afternoon:biggrin:

having the kit to do a job quickly is a good point but its hard when pricing not to pass that savin on to the customer.. we did a job a month ago near london.. took down 14 oak trees, had to remove everything from sight and grind roots out all in 2 days.. we did it in a day and charged £6000+vat and sold the oak for £2400.. i had mog and 14 ton grain trailer on back, 3 transit tippers all loaded with small chord and paid my mate to pick the butts up with his artic timber trailer and delivered them straight to my buyer.. i had our telescopic forklift delivered there and back by low loader which we moved all butts around sight with.. all wood chip stayed [luckily].. the hole job with timber and forklift haulage and wages cost me £1500 for that 1 day so i was more than happy with the profit.. i later found out that they'd had quotes from 10 to 15000 and none of them could do it in 2 days [let alone 1] some were sayin 10 days which with couple 3.5 ton trucks and 6inch chipper that'd prob be about right.. should i have charged more?prob is they wouldn't of had job done if it was much more..

You had the big kit to tackle that job. If somone else with the same kit priced it may have been the same as you. So the customer paid what they paid they were happy you were happy everybody was happy:thumbup:

Guys we can't be seen lowering our prices it is not Professional. How are we going to earn a some decent money and pay the bills when there are people who undercut. As soon as the joe public realise that that tree work is not cheap they will be forced to spend a fair price for the work to be done. I feel i have to explain to many of my clients that this kit cost a lot of upkeep and money.

Guys we can't be seen lowering our prices it is not Professional. How are we going to earn a some decent money and pay the bills when there are people who undercut. As soon as the joe public realise that that tree work is not cheap they will be forced to spend a fair price for the work to be done. I feel i have to explain to many of my clients that this kit cost a lot of upkeep and money.

Maybe the other guy who is undercutting you has no problems and his life is rosey, maybe there are parts of your business and thinking that could be changed. :)

These sort of things come up often, how much should I charge? somebodys too cheap etc.

the answer is always the same to how much should I charge? As much as you can.

Someones undercutting me... tough, thats business.

Pricing is harder than anything you will do up a tree.

Down here in North Devon the pricing war has gone stupid. I've quoted a couple of jobs in the last few weeks. 1st was a full day, 2 guys, dismantle I put £400 on the job the lady said that was ridiculous as the other tree guy was £260 cheaper:confused1:

The 2nd job, load of conifers 3 guy chapter 8 kit needed, me £2000 the other guy £1000

I'm sick of it I won't lower my day rate ever but feel I'm missing out on work.:thumbdown: