How out of date am i....

butler

What I would say is take your time when trying a new system out.

I tried a vt and hitch climber after using just a prussik and side strop(im already one step ahead of you:biggrin:) for nigh on 15 years. It was an experience i can tell you that!:001_huh:

Back to the prussik for now untili get the time to take my time learning how to use it properly.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone still on 3 strand nylon? Now that would be out of date...

I know a guy who climbs on some 3 strand! with a three knot system. God only knows how old that rope is. He said one day i'll by a fancy rope like yours. That fancy rope is Yale XTC Spearmint.

seeing as noone else has mentioned it, dare i say lockjack.

i tried the vt with hitchclimber and tried the lock jack. at first didnt go much on either so continued with the good old prussik. later i got the chance to play about with the lockjack some more and done a couple of work climbs with it and started coming round to the idea. it only took a couple of days to feel right at home with it.

Gucci kit doe s not make a better climber. Some of the very best used the 3 knot system all their careers. I like most love new shiny kit (magpie in a former life). Am I a better climber for it probably not, has it prolonged my climbing career definitely. I use a multisaver and a V.T on a hitchclimber and a Cinch on a lanyard. I have played a bit with the Branchwalker set up and for massive trees has big benefits (excellent cardio workout).I have seen guys trying to climb with what appears to be the entire contents of their kit bag on their Harness and more often than not are dog slow.

Go to a show try all the new kit and see what if anything works for you, We ve all got a cambium saver stuck but try it again it is the one thing that WILL make you life easier.

My climbing was basic for 10 years, I had tryed but did not really give them a chance... untill I discovered these forums about 5-6 years ago , you realise all the top climbers comp climbers are not on prussics and blakes ,started climbing on a vt and pulley and erganomicaly on the body and speed and efficiency around the tree was improved By miles.. Rope guides and positioner are always in my kit now although I found the rope guide hard to with I would not climb with out now...personally found the best way to get used to the system was climb with some one who was using it ,this gets your confidence up a lot , and if your an already experienced and competent climber it will make you a lot better....the first thing about vt climbing is getting used to arm over arm climbing then it's easy, any climber I know who's tried it and stuck with it now swears by it ... I know I would never go back and was always pessimistic about tackle tarts and still am but if you have it in you to be a good climber on a prussic it will make you a better one

My climbing was basic for 10 years, I had tryed but did not really give them a chance... untill I discovered these forums about 5-6 years ago , you realise all the top climbers comp climbers are not on prussics and blakes ,started climbing on a vt and pulley and erganomicaly on the body and speed and efficiency around the tree was improved By miles.. Rope guides and positioner are always in my kit now although I found the rope guide hard to with I would not climb with out now...personally found the best way to get used to the system was climb with some one who was using it ,this gets your confidence up a lot , and if your an already experienced and competent climber it will make you a lot better....the first thing about vt climbing is getting used to arm over arm climbing then it's easy, any climber I know who's tried it and stuck with it now swears by it ... I know I would never go back and was always pessimistic about tackle tarts and still am but if you have it in you to be a good climber on a prussic it will make you a better one

Makes scence "tackle tarts" i like that....ive been climbing for 10ish years and would say im competent...wanna learn more...im going to show my ignorance but hay, whats a VT?