Best tool brands

Stereo

I run a hardware / tools website and we are starting to sell a lot more axes / mauls / hatchets etc. It's an area of interest to me and I would like to move the site in this direction. I'm not going to mention the site here as that would be spamming so please don't ask. Plus it's still a bit unfinished as we are so busy with orders we never get to worl on categorizing products etc.

So, at the mo our main brand is Draper which is a good standard range of tools and we also do some Silverline stuff which is not so great but very popular. We want to move into more of the really good brands. Stuff we can stand by. Some of the things we send out is a bit embarrasing to be honest but people want it and don't seem to complain. It's not what I want to do though.

What I would like to do is know what kind of brands you guys look for when you need an axe, a maul, a new chain, protective gear and so on. We don't really do big stuff as it all goes out with City Link although we can do pallets.

As I said, this is not an advertising post but your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For axes and mauls brands like Gransfors and Wetterlings are highly regarded and there is a Fiskars splitting axe which owners rave about. As far as general workshop tools go, the Draper Expert range isn't bad but brands like Teng, Britool and Snap On are better IMO.

all my saws are stihl, so i always buy stihl branded stuff, even chains, i would rather spend the extra on stihl, as i find they last better.

axes i would go for gransfors, best out there. We do have a stihl splitting maul which does a good job too.

PPE i tend to buy the grippy rubber gloves, been using powergrab thermo from towa since november, had 2 pairs in that time, do well and keep your hands warm!

maybe you could find another shop which sells related gear and have a chat with them? see what they have and the demand?

For axes look no further than Gransfors bruks of Sweden!

Yep. I have their wildlife hatchet splitting maul and soon their forest axe.

I'm a bit of a brand snob all my powertools cordless, SDS drill, jigsaw, Router ect are all Blue Bosch ones. Workshop wise Spanners torque wrench sockets and things all Draper expert. All the saws are STIHL or Husky depending on who has the better product.

Chains are all Oregon Semi chisel and full chisel on the bigger saws. All Oregon replacable tip bars. PPE wise i always have a husky hat and pedzl hat what ever seem to be the best respected chainsaw trousers going Strech Airs at the mo. Got some fancy Arbortech chainsaw gloves with Anti vibration bits on. Seem very good at the moment.

Like they said Gransfors....

I hadn't really thought about it before but I always buy big brand for edge tools but am less fussy for other tools. I tend to buy what looks ok but is cheap and then replace it with a better brand IF it breaks or wears out.

If I tipped out the spanner box it will be full of all sorts of "rubbish" but I know there are a couple of snap on half inch / nine sixteenths in there. Equally I bought a 3/4 drive socket set primarily for removing dumper wheels 'in the field'. £40ish off ebay, dreadful quality but so far unbreakable despite the serious abuse it has had to put up with. I would not like to think how much a snap on set would be.

Stereo, if you search this forum for thread title keywords like axe, boots, trousers, helmet, gloves and so on you'll get loads of info, especially what Arbtalkers like of course. You may return too many hits with some words so try qualifying them, e.g. work boots or chainsaw boots.

Good luck in your venture.