Price This

wattie

but would using a crane and chargeing the same as not using a crane be more affective due to the fact you can do the job quicker so there for you can go through more jobs then doing it without the crane?

Thats the main reason I bought mine, tuppy, to my mind "time is money". I have always worked on the principle that every job has a price, so if a job is worth £500, if someone choses to do it with a bow saw and a small van, and it takes them a week to do they may be happy taking £100 a day and profit of say £60 , but if someone else comes with a truck and chipper and a couple of staff and does it in one day his costs are higher but he gets more done so although his % of prifit on the job is less than the guy with the bow saw, over the week, as long has he has enough work, he will make more money.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thats the main reason I bought mine, tuppy, to my mind "time is money". I have always worked on the principle that every job has a price, so if a job is worth £500, if someone choses to do it with a bow saw and a small van, and it takes them a week to do they may be happy taking £100 a day and profit of say £60 , but if someone else comes with a truck and chipper and a couple of staff and does it in one day his costs are higher but he gets more done so although his % of prifit on the job is less than the guy with the bow saw, over the week, as long has he has enough work, he will make more money.

Absolutely! A job has its price and thats that!

I would say, on the whole customers arent too worried how long it takes either, especially in the current market, price seems to come as priority.

Everyone to their own, whatever works best for you. Some people find bigger and fancier is better, others dont.

It still comes down to what the customer is happy paying. Oh, and, combined with how much they like you!

id like to charge £1600 but if im charging £300-£400 a day and i get a day and a halfs work for £800 im still quids in,plus i got a few tons of decent wood to sell out of the job......i priced a very local beach up a few months ago for 4 days at £1500....and was under cut on that!

Id still love a set up like sky hucks as you could comftably roll in and out of that job in a day with out braking out in a sweatbut if i was looking at making 1000 a day i dont think id ever have the work to borrow the money to buy one

Does it matter if your shirtless, tattooed white-trash types take a week to do that particular job, while they are doing that your raking it in elsewhere!!

Mani, Ive worked for companies that charge similar money for that job, using all the best kit available, to knock it out in a day, maybe fit in another small job too!! Just about every client we went to would comment on the fact that they thought the job would take far longer, and hint to the staff that they felt ripped off, they didnt care how much kit was used to take out the tree, and the costing of that kit. As far as they were concerned it was just a tree removal. Dont get me wrong, I could see the justification for the costing, and the usage of the kit, but it was difficult to explain to the client. I agree, we're in business first and foremost, but customer satisfaction is paramount to our survival.

Instead of all the bickering argueing and fighting over prices, stop and look around you no matter what the size of your company. There aren't very many millionare tree surgeons out there.

I know a fair few medium size companies where the boss has gone back on the tools because work has dropped off. Domestic tree surgery will never earn you big money it's allways an uphill struggle. You'll certainly earn a good living but what happens when you hit 50 ? I do feel alot of us work extremely hard for an unattainable goal.

Just out of interest Buzz, why worry about 50? I know several "old" boys out there who still out-shine their younger counterparts. Just have to work-smart. Anyway, I can see the arboriculture "bubble" bursting long before you'll need to worry about it. Yes, there will always be veg maintenance, trackside, roadside, overhead lines etc, but I think there will be a transition away from the domestic market as we know it now.

why? trees grow, there will always be safety issues next to raods, house etc and those who can afford like their trees and hedges to look good. Also with Horse Chestnut bleeding canker, more sevre weather, etc etc I really can't see the domestic work falling off - unless there's a recssion (oh God, there, I've said it - damn!)