drive on toll roads in a 4x4?

jrose

Don't know if this is old news, but thought I'd share it to help some of you save a few quid...

Since I got my 110 pickup I have driven down to Bristol and back in it once, which involved going across the (old) Severn Bridge. I paid roughly £11 for the toll, which I was expecting to as a commercial vehicle.

Well tonight I had to drive down there again, and on the way back pulled up at the kiosk expecting to pay £11 again. However, the digital display thing showed class 1 (normal cars) with a price of £5.70. The young lady at the kiosk wasn't sure, and called her manager over. He said apparentley there was a law brought in in 1967, classing all "Jeeps" as cars and not commercial vehicles, including my 110 pickup :thumbup::thumbup:

He said to keep the reciept from today in the truck, and if anyone tries to class me as a commercial for tolls purposes again to ask to speak to their supervisor! Quite what classes as a "Jeep" I don't know, you chaps in Hiluxes/L200s etc might be able to qualify with a bit of blagging :biggrin:

just thought it was worth sharing, especially to those who go on toll roads regularly a fiver saved each time isn't to be sniffed at!

cheers,

Joe

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On my way back from jonesies show last year i only paid the ordinary car rate for the dartford crossing even though i was in a navara.:thumbup1: I hadn't paid on the way there as they were letting everyone through without paying to relieve traffic jams due to a lorry catching fire on the bridge.

Paid car rate at Dartford the other week for a Navara and chipper. I thought I'd just had a lucky escape in the morning but paid the same on the return trip.

I was once charged the standard car rate for crossing dartford in a van with trailer :laugh1: