Thin or Reduce

RobArb

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Becuae most of the sites i work on are high public usage we have to chec kthe trees on a regular basis to make sure there are no defects. On the lower usage sites if we have any nice mature trees we leave to get on with it. In may i shall get some pics of an old Hawthorn. Several people think the tree is infact several other planted ones but is infact one big one that has collapsed over the years.

In response to orginal question. 1 ft pollard AKA... Stump

Edited by Matthew Arnold

Mmmm the question sounded better in my head haha!

I agree, leave the tree alone, but and its a big but, trees where/are generally planted in the wrong place and need to be tended too, not a specific tree, any tree.

What i'm trying to say is if you were to go inspect a tree which someone had complained about, or had grown out of place, which would be better

a 20% thin or 20% reduce from the tips or 30% thin or 30% reduce from the tips etc etc

just trying to gauge different peoples opinions on the subject of urban trees

A complex question, but most trees benifit (if done right) from a reduction in leverages, its common sense, increases strengths and also encourages a little internal shooting always a good thing, trees tend to shade thier own inner canopies as they mature, leaving few options for a reduction when the time comes.

Thinning should only ever be done from the outside anyway, the distinction in these jobs between reduction and thinning is often hard to judge.

So much tosh is spouted about the de merits of reduction, but thinning is far worse IMO

I enjoy the feel the most to be fair but regards to thin and reduce I like to carry out both

on a tree but sympathetically because too harsh means a tree will react in a way to push out more growth in leaves and larger leaves but what I think is right and what a customer thinks is right is different and I'm happy to do what they want as long as I don't get in trouble haha