Log theft caught red handed

Dean Lofthouse

Tell the suspect that they're under citizen's arrest. Tell them that they're not allowed to leave until a police officer comes and that they can explain the situation to the police when they arrive. Be firm and matter-of-fact.

In the U.S., A Miranda Warning is only required if you are both detaining AND questioning the suspect simultaneously. You do not need to read a suspect their rights if you question then detain.

If the suspect tries to leave, think very carefully before physically restraining the suspect. Not only will you put yourself in physical danger, but you could be subject to legal liabilities for use of excessive force. You can only use enough force to restrain the suspect. If they manage to run away, then the arrest has not been completed. Also, note that in at least some countries it is illegal to lock up the suspect or tie him to something.

Remember that you have no right to question or search the suspect, or to seize any kind of evidence.

And take half this forum with you, I have had some 50 - 100 split logs stolen this is the first time I have noticed! :(

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can only use enough force to restrain the suspect.

Remember that you have no right to question or search the suspect, or to seize any kind of evidence.

:(

We have suffered over time the logs being stolen so I did some research including with the local Police and think everyone might be interested in the following.

Since medieval times it has been legal and still is for every parish in the UK to have a set of wooden/steel Stocks/Pillary. Most were on common land but some on private land. The exact legal wording I will find but meantime it is installed to keep the public from crime and stop those who do. (It is legal for anyone to assault, revile, aim filth at a person in Stocks/Pillary):thumbup:

Would stop a large number of the current thieves if this happened to them in public.

I told the Police I was making some wooden ones and was not told cannot. Must provide the person basic bread and water. Time in the stocks is up to the person who had the crime done against them.

We have suffered over time the logs being stolen so I did some research including with the local Police and think everyone might be interested in the following.

Since medieval times it has been legal and still is for every parish in the UK to have a set of wooden/steel Stocks/Pillary. Most were on common land but some on private land. The exact legal wording I will find but meantime it is installed to keep the public from crime and stop those who do. (It is legal for anyone to assault, revile, aim filth at a person in Stocks/Pillary):thumbup:

Would stop a large number of the current thieves if this happened to them in public.

I told the Police I was making some wooden ones and was not told cannot. Must provide the person basic bread and water. Time in the stocks is up to the person who had the crime done against them.

fantastic ! :) hell i bet this would stop prison over crowding especialy if the oiks and asbos were put straight in them instead of custody :)

Every police staion needs stocks !

I have a couple of the cameras from this site. The chap who sell them is one of my clients, i might be able to sort an arbtalk special if enough people want. He seemed keen the last time. The padlocks are great, they scream if touched, i wire all my saws together then lock them up with the lock.

Security Cameras & Theft Deterrents > Secure Sight

• 10 months later...

That time of year again when people think it is acceptable to help themselves to your seasoned split logs.

I am absolutely sick to the back teeth of going down the yard and finding big holes in my log pile after I have grafted hard to build it up and over a year storing it under cover.

I have put in counter measures, but I really shouldn't have to waste so much of my time and money trying to protect my livelihood.

This time I am going to prosecute to the hilt when they are caught, I,m taking no prisoners. I reckon over the season, I get a minimum of £1000 worth stolen

Edited by Dean Lofthouse

That time of year again when people think it is acceptable to help themselves to your seasoned split logs.

I am absolutely sick to the back teeth of going down the yard and finding big holes in my log pile after I have grafted hard to build it up and over a year storing it under cover.

I have put in counter measures, but I really shouldn't have to waste so much of my time and money trying to protect my livelihood.

This time I am going to prosecute to the hilt when they are caught, I,m taking no prisoners. I reckon over the season, I get a minimum of £1000 worth stolen

HI dean the logs is hard work not right to take others logs i hope you get them soon mate nr us there was 50 ton of small cord gone last summer thats y i have very large cord in all the best dean jon :thumbup:

Unfortunatly the police see this as a petty crime, you'll most likely get given a crime number and that will be it. We had a similar problem, except somebody was stealing red diesel, trecking across the field, over the litte stream, nicking 25litres at a time. Police just gave us a crime number, told us they knew the offender but he was to young for them to deal with! So at that point you have to take the law into your own hands.

Would advise against retribution.

Write to your MP. MPs are quite hot on this because it's an easy fix for them. They send a letter to the police and before you'll know it you'll have a Chief Inspector round sorting it out for you.

Best wishes,

John Russell