Log theft caught red handed

Dean Lofthouse

You will then receive an immediate visit from an armed response vehicle, the officers will have orders to remove all your firearms and ammunition assuming you have some, your firearm and shotgun licences will then be revoked. It is then unlikely that you will get them back, ever.

If you don't have any firearms then you will probably be prosecuted rather than the criminals. Happened to friend of a friend when he came home one night to find burglars in his remote house and the Police advising that they were unable to respond, he tried again 5 mins later, same response, 5 mins later he reported he had shot one of the intruders, an ARV was there in under 4 minutes. The Police crew were not interested in the burglars much, just the firearms side.

You do need photographic evidence in order to obtain a conviction. If they are carrying them away in a car then the car can be seized and crushed, cant get much more than a week or twos worth in a car so you will probably have a good idea when they are likely to return.

A

A

1. Banter (n)

Supple term used to describe activities or chat that is playful, intelligent and original. Banter is something you either posses or lack, there is no middle ground. It is also something inherently English, stemming as it does from traditional hi-jinks and tomfoolery of British yesteryear.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all fairness a big dog does put off a high percentage of little scrotes and the casual light fingered type. Fine, if someone is serious about your gear they're going to get it one way or another but I know for sure my two French Mastiffs have deterred a couple of would be night time visitors. They picked on the neighbour instead but he was woken up by my mutts doing their nana and caught the guys rooting through his car for stuff. Chased them through the streets of Turangi stark bollock naked at two in the morning. I'd prefer to have the dogs as second line of defense and noise makers rather than none at all.

Just on the firearms side of things; A year or so ago in Auckland a guy broke into a hunting shop while the owner was also in the shop. The owner shot the offender in the stomach. Police at first looked at charging the guy but then decided it was a fair case of self defense and dropped the charges. I don't think you could get away with it for someone stealing logs but I believe the law has just changed and that a man can reasonably defend himself, his family and his property. I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me.

Just on the firearms side of things; A year or so ago in Auckland a guy broke into a hunting shop while the owner was also in the shop. The owner shot the offender in the stomach. Police at first looked at charging the guy but then decided it was a fair case of self defense and dropped the charges. I don't think you could get away with it for someone stealing logs but I believe the law has just changed and that a man can reasonably defend himself, his family and his property. I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me.

You can defend yourself, but not your property.

If someone is nicking your logs and you get a gun, threaten them, and then shoot them when they fail to clear off, you'll do time for murder. Thoroughly unfair IMO, but that's the law.

If someone corners you and you happen to pick up the nearest weapon which happens to be a gun and you shoot them, you need to explain why the gun was not in the gun cabinet. If you have a fair reason for having a loaded gun on the kitchen table, then you might get away with it. "I was just coming back from shooting wabbits m'lud" would probably be OK, as long as you had a dead wabbit to hand.

The gray area for me is if some nutjob is smashing down the front door, and you deliberately get a gun out to defend yourself. It would be an obvious decision for me with wife and kids in the house, but I'm not sure a court would see it that way.

Personally I like the law in Texas:

A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect his property to the degree he reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, theft during the nighttime or criminal mischief during the nighttime, and he reasonably believes that the property cannot be protected by any other means.

So you see two blokes nicking your logs, you cannot stop them on your own, so it is OK to slot them from 200 yards away with a decent rifle and night vision scope.

I'd never asked for the help of the police before but Ioved to an area in Newcastle I didn't

know got up for work and my car was smashed up along with the rest of the streets, apparently there had been a young girls funeral on and a 15 yr old lad got upset and acted out of character, the police said sign a form so he doesn't need to go to court and hel pay for damage, I thought fair enough. Once that was sorted the lad turned out to be 18 and said he only kicked the wing mirror hel pay me 40 quid out of his dole over 6 month?? Where is the justice I felt the police led me into what this lad wanted

Sounds like a set up by plod to make the case go away,:thumbdown:

easy-lift guy

I have a couple of the cameras from this site. The chap who sell them is one of my clients, i might be able to sort an arbtalk special if enough people want. He seemed keen the last time. The padlocks are great, they scream if touched, i wire all my saws together then lock them up with the lock.

Security Cameras & Theft Deterrents > Secure Sight

Gee, if I did not know any better I think you read my thread on means and methods of protecting your kit from theft:thumbup1:, Good for you. Theocus.

easy-lift guy

You can defend yourself, but not your property.

If someone is nicking your logs and you get a gun, threaten them, and then shoot them when they fail to clear off, you'll do time for murder. Thoroughly unfair IMO, but that's the law.

If someone corners you and you happen to pick up the nearest weapon which happens to be a gun and you shoot them, you need to explain why the gun was not in the gun cabinet. If you have a fair reason for having a loaded gun on the kitchen table, then you might get away with it. "I was just coming back from shooting wabbits m'lud" would probably be OK, as long as you had a dead wabbit to hand.

The gray area for me is if some nutjob is smashing down the front door, and you deliberately get a gun out to defend yourself. It would be an obvious decision for me with wife and kids in the house, but I'm not sure a court would see it that way.

Personally I like the law in Texas:

So you see two blokes nicking your logs, you cannot stop them on your own, so it is OK to slot them from 200 yards away with a decent rifle and night vision scope.

We have a Castle law here in Florida. If anyone enters my home and I am in fear for my life or family I can protect my self by helping said person along their way towards assuming room temp. with the assistance of my H-K.:thumbup1:

easy-lift guy

The uk have allways been too soft, thats why people think its totaly acceptable going into someones house/property and take things because they know even if they did get caught by the police for stealing some logs what are they really going to do? £60 fine and a caution most lickly! Even if they did find themselves in jail for 20 days well thats 20 days of free food and a whole lot of playstation and pool to catch up on! Not punishment.

I personally think you should be able to do whatever it takes to stop that person doing what they are doing, if that means shooting them in the leg then so be it! Im not saying its ok to kill them but If that person wasnt stealing your things and just getting on with his/her life like we all do not finding the need to go onto other peoples property and take other peoples things then they wouldnt of been shot in the first place! And i would guess that person wouldnt be stealing your logs anymore either!