Taking the Proverbial

Stevie Mac

When he asked what's the best time to split the logs and then told you where the axe was then I reckon he had a glint in his eye - if you looked closely enough- He must have been joking and surprised at your reply. Probably now thinks you had included this in the price.

Trouble is people earn say £10 per hour in their jobs and think if they've given you £150 for 4 hours work then you getting £40 per hour and must be rich. No matter how you explain they still see it as you getting £40 per hour- best not even try

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"There is a axe in the garage if you want to get started now"

The response that is,

Good you know where it is then, I recommend starting early in the morning so YOU can get finished by lunch and have the afternoon off.

Not unusual to have people add bits on, worst is when you've finished, tided up and collecting / arranging payment. Then the "I thought you were doing ...." comes out - often knowing perfectly well what was agreed ie different tree at other end of garden etc.

"There is a axe in the garage if you want to get started now"

The response that is,

Good you know where it is then, I recommend starting early in the morning so YOU can get finished by lunch and have the afternoon off.

Not unusual to have people add bits on, worst is when you've finished, tided up and collecting / arranging payment. Then the "I thought you were doing ...." comes out - often knowing perfectly well what was agreed ie different tree at other end of garden etc.

This why having a written quote is essential on most jobs . Although not in this case . Is there anything the neighbour could help you with in the future ?

I had this recently when doing a job for a friend of my dad's for half price; which just about covered my costs. He rang after the job was done and asked me when I was coming back to split the rings into firewood. No thank you! Won't do mates rates after that...

Just tell him that if you split them, Thank you very much and they'll be getting stacked in your garden. Two can play at that game.

:lol: i agree! cheeky begger!!

I had this once, i was on a job and it was red hot and had already had a full day at work. The customer wanted a juniper removing along with a few heathers and bits of bobs. I quoted £40 for what i thought would be about an hour and a half to two hours work... After i got them out he said right if you could just spread the soil backwards then that would be great! wtf? there was about 3 tonne and i was on my own and absolutely knackered. I did it and thought right i'm off. Packed all up, stuff in the car and went for my money and the cheeky sod said 'you haven't moved the stones yet' probably about 30 rockery stones. I looked at him gone out... he gave me an extra fiver for the work i did that he never mentioned when i went for the first visit! Needless to say i never went back for seconds!

I have a principle that I've applied throughout my working life.

Either do the job at the proper price, or do it free -- nothing in between.

If you're doing it for free you can do as much or as little as you want, or need to, and no one will complain.

Best wishes,

JR

Spot on!

Truth be told,I'd rather not work for friends or acquaintances.