The job I didn't get

jacjak

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How can anyone steal a job its a competitive world, if Ted in the village can do it with a bow saw for half the price of you then who's the better tree cutter?

Resourceful ted I'd say

I've done a few jobs for chicken feed and sold the wood for a good money, like millable elm, Oak saw logs etc

Its just knowing the markets

They have gone one better round here I see in the paper they have started cutting trees down and stealing them. The price of scrap iron is back up to £200 a tonne so expect they will go back to stealing drain grates again soon.

that in the advertiser?? there is no end to the madness haha.

you dont win them all mate, i have had plenty like it. but you will always win work. and lets face it. you will forget avbout this job in a few weeks. or when the next one comes along.

I can't see it as having work stolen. You quote for the work and you either get the job or you don't. Sometimes you lose out to a rival company but they don't steal the work from you it's just the way it goes. I have to deal with mowing contractors who think they can trim a tree and at knockdown prices. The customer usually comes back to a pro once mr mow has butchered her tree. On the other hand; I often take down trees for a knockdown price on the understanding I can have the wood. It just depends on how bare the wood shed is looking at the time so I suppose I could be accused of stealing work off the other contractors around. If the other guy is only taking the wood offer to go round and clean up the greenwaste for a good price or, talk to the fella himself and see if you can work in with his jobs. Offer to provide a price to do the clean up for him after he's knocked the tree over. You never know, you might get some easy work out of it. When I first started out there was a local axe man who had won a small fortune on the stihl timbersports circuit. His winnings had paid for all his gear so often he would do jobs for the wood (firewood being his retirement money) and I couldn't compete. Rather than griping about it I rang him and explained who I was and what I did and now I actually use him for the big jobs as I can undercut the competition due to his low prices and he's happy to use me to put strops and winch cables up the trees that he can't deal with on his own. He passes all climbing jobs my way and I pass the fell only jobs his way. The customer gets a good service so always comes back to us for repeat work and some jobs he doesn't charge me for as he might have a tree needing my skills so no money changes hands. It actually works really well.

They have gone one better round here I see in the paper they have started cutting trees down and stealing them. The price of scrap iron is back up to £200 a tonne so expect they will go back to stealing drain grates again soon.

ha ha ha ha so true so true! just before xmas had alot of gas oil deliverd to our farm 1 hour later had a " transit tipper " follow with about a weel barrow worth of logs in the back of it supposedly looking for an address , i approched them with a face like thunder kindly pointing to a large heap of timber ,saying do i look like i need logs, he wanted to turn around in our yard (to have a look at the derv tanks) to go back, i made him reverse up the lane, his last words to me in a mockeny irish tounge was why are you being like this its not as though i going to steal anything!!!!!

I have to admit, I've been trying my utmost to propogate the myth that wood has no value whatsoever and we are doing them an enormous favour when we include taking it away in the price of the job as a whole...:sneaky2:

:dito:

I have the added advantage that because of my crane, I can offer to leave it in 14 foot lengths or take it away for free, but if they want it cut up that will of cause take time and cost them extra :sneaky2::biggrin: