The job I didn't get

jacjak

I priced up a job before xmas, customer seemed happy with the quote but said they would get back to me on it. happened to be driving past the customers house yesterday, only to see a big empty space where the tree was. I presumed they had got a cheaper quote so gave them a bell to see if i could find out what they were charged.

Was gutted to find out someone else had done it for free just to get their hands on the wood to sell. How on earth can you compete with people like this :sad:

just wondered if anyone else has lost work this way

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I priced up a job before xmas, customer seemed happy with the quote but said they would get back to me on it. happened to be driving past the customers house yesterday, only to see a big empty space where the tree was. I presumed they had got a cheaper quote so gave them a bell to see if i could find out what they were charged.

Was gutted to find out someone else had done it for free just to get their hands on the wood to sell. How on earth can you compete with people like this :sad:

just wondered if anyone else has lost work this way

you cant mate :001_huh:

yes i have ! theres some old retired fart quite local to me that will straight fell trees free of charge just for the wood. the annoying part is he hasn`t a clue or qualification to his name or own any ppe, just him a chainsaw and an old vw caddy pick up and trailer. i`m waiting to bump into him (quite literally) on a back road !

i had one the other way round haha, the local handyman said he would knock down a large beech tree for free for the firewood, i got the job for £1800 and got the wood for free. chin up dude it'll never catch on proper unless they get trained and insured:001_smile:

you got £1800 for one beech :blushing:

how many days work!

are they rich where you live:laugh1:

i went to price a job like that but them boys had bin in before me. got there priced 4 trees 1 day take woodchip and wood away £450 oh my god she went the last bloke told her that they could do it for £80 if he could keep the wood :confused1::confused1:

i told her she best get on with it , i drive past the house nearly everyday it took 2 bloke with ladders and bowsaws nealy a week made me laugh watching them :lol:

yes i have ! theres some old retired fart quite local to me that will straight fell trees free of charge just for the wood. the annoying part is he hasn`t a clue or qualification to his name or own any ppe, just him a chainsaw and an old vw caddy pick up and trailer. i`m waiting to bump into him (quite literally) on a back road !

you need to bump him off,not into him :lol:

i wouldnt worry about it, he will have an accident of some kind either to himself or one will go wrong and then he will have a big bill. Its easy cutting trees, there all pro's till it goes wrong.

i went to price a job like that but them boys had bin in before me. got there priced 4 trees 1 day take woodchip and wood away £450 oh my god she went the last bloke told her that they could do it for £80 if he could keep the wood :confused1::confused1:

i told her she best get on with it , i drive past the house nearly everyday it took 2 bloke with ladders and bowsaws nealy a week made me laugh watching them :lol:

Been there mate.

The thing is, the laughs on us when they go to pick up their giros!

Can't really blame the customer - they have saved £370.