Student fees

3dogs

I think the real problem is with increased tution fees + living cost + books mean that students leaving uni will have 48k of debt. Yes once leaving uni there is a higher chance of earning above 21k immediatly. I think the underlying fact is that it will stop a lot of people going to uni and fall back once again to wealthier people going to uni and working class people not.

Just my understanding of it.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my opinion to student fees due to recent events.

I believe that everyone is entitled to free education upto the age of 18, so this would include upto school leaving age plus 2 years to take A levels or further education. For those who do not wish to take further education then an apprentice system should be made available were apropriate for 2 years. For those who wish then to go onto university I believe it should be self funded. My reasons for this are, if I want to invest in my buisness I have to borrow or earn to do so, this is calculated on the fact that it will be a good investment and that it will pay dividends. So if students feel that university would be a good investment for there financial future they should take the same risks and either borrow or earn the money to do so, this being a calculated investment.

I know that there needs to be exceptions for some people, but these would need to be addresed on an idividual basis but for the majority I stand by what I think.

Im not going to get into discusion about my beliefs, just wondered what other peoples feelings were.

The problem is that most of the people at Uni shouldn't be there. A time was when only the brightest kids went. However, Mr Blair set an arbitrary target for 50% of school leavers to attend, that'll keep the idiots voting for him.

To achieve that there was no choice but to lower the value of a degree to that of functional toilet paper.

A mate of mine has a masters in economics and now coaches post grads into not better jobs, but entry level jobs. He reckon that today's university don't provide you with a broad education, they just teach you how to pass exams.

as a current student on a degree course, the tuition fees for my course are just over 3 grand a year for which i get a loan which i start paying back at a certain level; however the rate of repayment is dependent on salary so if earning the lowest wage you repay the loan at £7.50 a week or the equivalent of a couple of pints. Is this such a huge amount to have to repay? Alright yes it will take a hell of a long time to repay at this rate but you can make a bigger payment at any time as and when funds allow. To me the brainless idiots who were in london don't, or won't understand what the government is proposing.

Was it not estimated that a couple of decades past something like 4% went to Uni and this 4% was the cream of the crop and very intelligent who learnt hard with what was then difficult A-Levels and the numbers would not have beared such a heavy burden on the Govt. in charge and the erstwhile taxpayer.

Today we have more than 12X that number who all hold a worthless array of A-levels and dozens of school exam passes that are as taxing as a daily star crossword yet they all think its their god given right to disrespect society beleive their something above and generally live for next to nothing expecting to be molly-coddled along the way to their 100k+ professional job once graduated?

I worked for a blue chip company and EVERY single team colleague was a uni graduate yet had no single thought of common sense whatsoever?

A degree does not impress me in the slightest bit today as I see some, but not all students, as workshy attitude problem louts thinking the country owes them everything?

The "AT crowd" (get it? whos "moss" lol) however are far more respected in my eyes as hard work through being told what to do from a young age and doing it rates above any false intellectual anyday!

Bit of a rant and sorry to offend anyone but disrespecting the cenotaph and graffiti on winston churchill statue has made my blood boil :cursing:

Was it not estimated that a couple of decades past something like 4% went to Uni and this 4% was the cream of the crop and very intelligent who learnt hard with what was then difficult A-Levels and the numbers would not have beared such a heavy burden on the Govt. in charge and the erstwhile taxpayer.

Today we have more than 12X that number who all hold a worthless array of A-levels and dozens of school exam passes that are as taxing as a daily star crossword yet they all think its their god given right to disrespect society beleive their something above and generally live for next to nothing expecting to be molly-coddled along the way to their 100k+ professional job once graduated?

I worked for a blue chip company and EVERY single team colleague was a uni graduate yet had no single thought of common sense whatsoever?

A degree does not impress me in the slightest bit today as I see some, but not all students, as workshy attitude problem louts thinking the country owes them everything?

The "AT crowd" (get it? whos "moss" lol) however are far more respected in my eyes as hard work through being told what to do from a young age and doing it rates above any false intellectual anyday!

Bit of a rant and sorry to offend anyone but disrespecting the cenotaph and graffiti on winston churchill statue has made my blood boil :cursing:

i agree with you on the cenotaph issue a old boy i play skittles with was bought to tears watching it those STUDENTS/THUGS need a harse example of real life for example taking to a field in middle of no where and beaton to a pulp

I think the real problem is with increased tution fees + living cost + books mean that students leaving uni will have 48k of debt. Yes once leaving uni there is a higher chance of earning above 21k immediatly. I think the underlying fact is that it will stop a lot of people going to uni and fall back once again to wealthier people going to uni and working class people not.

Just my understanding of it.

well surely thats good. lets get the working classes back to being workers, you know ones that can graft doing those hard manual jobs that no-one (except 'the immigrants') will do.

you dont need a degree to start up a business and eventually employ people who also don't have degrees, and that in my opinion is what this country needs. get out to work and graft for your money. too many see university etc as a "lifestyle" choice. gap years and drinking cheap booze while being subsidised by the taxpayer. i have no objection to anyone doing a worthwhile degree in things such as health,law science etc but not things like media studies,art ,dr who and david beckham etc,get out there and get a job.