Student fees

3dogs

you dont need a degree to start up a business and eventually employ people who also don't have degrees, and that in my opinion is what this country needs. get out to work and graft for your money. too many see university etc as a "lifestyle" choice. gap years and drinking cheap booze while being subsidised by the taxpayer. i have no objection to anyone doing a worthwhile degree in things such as health,law science etc but not things like media studies,art ,dr who and david beckham etc,get out there and get a job.

:congrats::congrats::congrats:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am really glad someone started this as i was going to start a thread about this myself. I agree that everyone should have an education as has been said before up to the age of 18. Anything after that i see no reason why whomever wants any further schooling should have to pay for it. Firstly it would put people off that were there to just get drunk and have sex (which is good but not at everyone elses expense) and do a mickey mouse course and secondly make people serious about what they want to do. A good friend of mine went to uni had a gap year and basically messed around for a few years and now he cuts grass for the local council!! Value for money i ask?? I know plenty of others that have passed out with honours and do nothing remotely connected with their degree. And as for those students that trashed anything they should immediately lose their uni place and face a prison sentence. Absolute disgrace to the people (us) that are funding their places and futures. Those that attacked the royals should have just been shot dead!! Seems a bit strong but you do not do anything like that. As far as i'm concerned it amounts to treason when you attack our Royal family.

Anyway rant over peace brothers and sisters

What annoyed me was the parents of one thug complaining about heavy handed police tactics! what a joke!! If you attack the police you deserve everything you get!!

Being on the receiving end of a rioting mob is one of the scariest experiences i have had. At times its a fight to stay alive. what do they expect police to do take a beating? Wesure as hell didnt in Basra, I bashed them with my stick till my arm ached!!

One chap I use to work with at a supermarket over 10 years ago is still there he works on trolleys he went to uni for 6 years and did a phd he is still working there today on trolleys In the same supermarket 10 years on . His parents paid to make sure he did not have a lone to pay off . His parents were devestated and it took them years to accept that he would never get a better job he is a strange chap he could never cope with any pressure and is a loner compleatly set in his ways and lives as if he is in a shoe box . I think it was a massive waist of money really feel for his mum and dad . I do think he should of had to pay as he has compleatley waisted his education . Had he had to pay up he may of thought twice about the choices he has made .

Littletree

One chap I use to work with at a supermarket over 10 years ago is still there he works on trolleys he went to uni for 6 years and did a phd he is still working there today on trolleys In the same supermarket 10 years on . His parents paid to make sure he did not have a lone to pay off . His parents were devestated and it took them years to accept that he would never get a better job he is a strange chap he could never cope with any pressure and is a loner compleatly set in his ways and lives as if he is in a shoe box . I think it was a massive waist of money really feel for his mum and dad . I do think he should of had to pay as he has compleatley waisted his education . Had he had to pay up he may of thought twice about the choices he has made .

Littletree

He would still not have to pay under the new system, as his earnings will not be over £21K.

Please correct me if im wrong but university's/students are heavily subsidised by the tax payer.

They were. But the govenment contribution has / will be reduced by an average of 80%. Arts/humanities courses close to 100% cut. Sciences less (but still >50%).

The student fee increases will fill this hole.

Effectively the University sector has be privatised as the government contribution will be trivial. Ex-pollies will most likely shut down. Russel group & Oxbridge will likely go completely private so as to get out of the rules that government set.

Welcome to the Tory world. :thumbdown:

They were. But the govenment contribution has / will be reduced by an average of 80%. Arts/humanities courses close to 100% cut. Sciences less (but still >50%).

The student fee increases will fill this hole.

Effectively the University sector has be privatised as the government contribution will be trivial. Ex-pollies will most likely shut down. Russel group & Oxbridge will likely go completely private so as to get out of the rules that government set.

Welcome to the Tory world. :thumbdown:

all sounds good to me

Talking from a Students point of view. I see the rise in fees possibly increasing the value of the degrees and qualifications gained. If 200 people can get on a course and they all pass and go for the same 10 jobs then there would be no point for 190 of them as they would never get the job the want.

However if only 2 people went on the same course and then had 10 job positions open. How much more would they be valued? With 10 places possibly fighting for them then it was worthwhile them going for the degree because they can command the money. Now because theres 200 people with the same degree. If one isn't cut out they find the next person with the same degree!

My group of mates went to uni. I am forever seeing pictures of them drinking and messing around and wrecking their flats and stuff.

I am nothing near the student stereotype. In my spare time out of uni I'm working for myself or doing assignments or with the other half.

These raised fees won't affect me thankfully. I've got another year left doing my BSc.

There are 27 people on my course at the moment doing a BSc and fdsc. The area is already full of people in the job. And now with another 20 plus coming in its going to devalue the qualification.

The payment of these fees is available from April each year for voluntary payment. If you drop out of uni before November then you pay no fees. The only thing you pay back is the maintenance loan.

The other half did 4 weeks of a course last year. Paid no tuition fees but just paid £800 of a maintenance loan. Which was the first instalment.

I never actually planned to go to uni. As I didn't want to be 21 and with a big debt. But I chose to in my second year of college and I haven't looked back. Best thing I could have done!

As with anything. There's people on this course that I don't think are suited to the industry at all. There are a few mature students. A couple are ok but others have been stuck behind a desk for 20+ years. Fair play to changing job. But I don't think they made the best choice!

I don't associate myself with students like those in the protests. That was totally uncalled for and did nothing for their cause!