Getting too old to climb...

MrArb

Im 19 and climb because its a job. Not really enjoying it like i use to... but sticking with it until i either get the "spark" back, or something better comes along.

At 19, if nothing better comes along or you can't think of anything better, get the hell out of Dodge. Go travelling, change company or see if there's another company that does more of the kind of work you like. Change is as good as a rest sometimes. Might come back to it refreshed. If you stay in a situation you find boring or that you find hard to stay motivated it can put you in the wrong headspace to make anything better.

59 and still climbing. Having fun at the same time................well most of the time!

The brufen comes in handy at the end of the day, but having made a daft move last year, and went to electronics bench work cos I thought I may make some real money...I was tearing my hair out! actually wasn't making the money, so moved back to the trees and felt really great about it.

I will stop when I think I have to, when I can't pull the ropes and I know it!

It is mind over matter, knowing limitations, working within them, taking a little bit more time without losing competitiveness etc, its been said all before.

I'm having the time of me life at the moment, so why stop?

Kind regards

Frenchclimber

There have been many good comments on this thread. But one that keeps repeating is that it is "just mind over matter". This is just not true. All of us age and no one is getting out alive.

I have been a tree climbing arborist for over 40 years. Always have specialized in difficult and dangerous jobs. I still do difficult and dangerous jobs, but of my own choosing. I am not as physically strong as I once was, but can still accomplish what needs to be done in an efficient manner and dang near as fast as I once could.

I can truthfully state that the basic climbing styles we were taught will, without a doubt, wear out your body. They focus on upper arm and body strength and you just cannot go day in and day out using those portions of your body for primary propulsion without developing excessive wear and tear and overuse injuries. There will always be the exception, such as the ones who can smoke heavily yet never have any smoking-related illnesses.

But for the majority of us, this style of work will take its toll. If you have a mind to climb as long as possible, you need to incorporate the larger muscle groups; i.e., your legs, into your climbing system to distribute the wear and tear. That doesn't mean just entering the tree with a footlock or patin. There are many advancements in tree climbing work positioning. Most of these are focused on single rope technique yet there is great resistance in the young and the hardy to incorporating these energy saving methods. This is the time that you can benefit the most. Do some research. Stop wearing yourself out by using unnecessary effort to accomplish your job.

Climb safe.

Dave

There have been many good comments on this thread. But one that keeps repeating is that it is "just mind over matter". This is just not true. All of us age and no one is getting out alive.

I have been a tree climbing arborist for over 40 years. Always have specialized in difficult and dangerous jobs. I still do difficult and dangerous jobs, but of my own choosing. I am not as physically strong as I once was, but can still accomplish what needs to be done in an efficient manner and dang near as fast as I once could.

I can truthfully state that the basic climbing styles we were taught will, without a doubt, wear out your body. They focus on upper arm and body strength and you just cannot go day in and day out using those portions of your body for primary propulsion without developing excessive wear and tear and overuse injuries. There will always be the exception, such as the ones who can smoke heavily yet never have any smoking-related illnesses.

But for the majority of us, this style of work will take its toll. If you have a mind to climb as long as possible, you need to incorporate the larger muscle groups; i.e., your legs, into your climbing system to distribute the wear and tear. That doesn't mean just entering the tree with a footlock or patin. There are many advancements in tree climbing work positioning. Most of these are focused on single rope technique yet there is great resistance in the young and the hardy to incorporating these energy saving methods. This is the time that you can benefit the most. Do some research. Stop wearing yourself out by using unnecessary effort to accomplish your job.

Climb safe.

Dave

Great post Dave

Words of wisdom Dave, thanks.

As for me, 43 in January but doing more climbing now than I have ever done.

Big, fat, ageing and ugly, yes, but I would say I am more efficient now than I was say 5 years ago.

Although being involved in tree works for over 20 years, I was a late starter climbing(at 34). The only regret I have is not climbing earlier but thats the way it is.

Only time I ever wondered why I was doing this job, is when a customer hacked me off enough. Never as a result of the work.

you body is a tool ..just like your chainsaws.

if you don't give you chainsaew the right fuel , service is regular and look after it...it will have a short work life.

You need to eat well, service you body regular by stretching and exercise and you will have longer work life also.

though this is easier said than done.

When the body gets older its usually the joints and lack of flexability that cause problems with movement so dynamic mobility exercises are important.

Turning 46 next week and still loving the climbing. It takes a little longer to get going on a cold morning, plenty of stretching, but, once up the tree, the 22 years experience takes over and any aches and pains are forgotten.

Two things I have noticed of late:

1. After a hard days climbing I seem to suffer a lot of leg cramp. Not all of the time but it is related?

2. Sometimes have to resort to lifting my own leg with my hands up onto branches that once upon a time my leg would reach on its own:laugh1:

I consider myself very lucky to be able to climb and long may it last.