Rip, twang, kipper-bang

David Humphries

That's somewhat dramatic.

Fine post :thumbup1:

Looks like a graft failure?

Was that Merip fruiting at the back of the stump?.

I see your train of thought and raise you this one!

The flat surface of the portion and the ridges on the tension side are the result of little deposition of lignin on tension side. A strong wind or squall entered the wood and blew it back against its optimised form, this resulted in fibre buckling, this historic wounding, disrupted growth patterns, and made the tree deposit lignin, making this side more vunreable to tensile forces, weakened further by gan/Armillaria attack the result was dramatic, aided in no small part by the lean and masive tensions. had it been a vertical tree might of gone on a lot longer IMO:001_cool:

I see your train of thought and raise you this one!

The flat surface of the portion and the ridges on the tension side are the result of little deposition of lignin on tension side. A strong wind or squall entered the wood and blew it back against its optimised form, this resulted in fibre buckling, this historic wounding, disrupted growth patterns, and made the tree deposit lignin, making this side more vunreable to tensile forces, weakened further by gan/Armillaria attack the result was dramatic, aided in no small part by the lean and masive tensions. had it been a vertical tree might of gone on a lot longer IMO:001_cool:

OR

Maybe at some time in the past some wire or other foreign body was rapped around the trunk and became included, causing the damage.

Someone's been busy with the winch! :laugh1:

Some awesome examples of nature's graceful defeat by gravity, wind and/or decay. Especially that first one of the beech. I had some photos of a huge fallen hornbeam that had ganoderma all over it, the heartwood was so soft you could pull it out of the fracture in clumps, it was like sponge. But alas, those were stored on my old laptop which i dropped. :001_rolleyes:

Very precise from a tiny picture ??

I had a strangulation (barbed wire ) wound in mind or graft

I was just entering a thought, none of us can see if the buckling/dissruption is continuos around the stem, i wasnt claiming certainty! but graft? was it copper? was it purpureum? nah, barb wire is a good call :thumbup1:

OR

Maybe at some time in the past some wire or other foreign body was rapped around the trunk and became included, causing the damage.

like i say above, wire is a good call:thumbup1:

A few more of tree.

Exactly as I thought in the first instance, disruptive growth too high for a wire, and if it was wire, where is the second and or third lower wires? they arent there, no dissruptions. It is historic fibre buckling, and the tree has suffered high loads all its life, as evident in the historic shear bomb, followed by fungi, further loading and bang, thats this trees story:001_smile:

and im sticking with it!:lol:

As previously shown on the 'Beech with ganoderma' thread this one near Horsham went bump in the night and made a sleeping maiden 150+ yards away jump out of bed in fright!

Note my phone in the middle of pic1.

The lad is a fag paper short of 6', closer to me and further from the tree than seems to be the case at first glance.

5976583e1c0ea_Beech12.jpg.07c6f29ac948a9724e2bb8a219426f9d.jpg

5976583e1785a_Beech8.jpg.b28cf8edd5e637dba3dfc7e2d8515a15.jpg

5976583e133e4_Beech1.jpg.fe9e0e7746af702c94acd48a63e93ddb.jpg

Exactly as I thought in the first instance, disruptive growth too high for a wire,

In the original photo look at the tree behind Edit: My bad, it's the splinter from the same tree

You make things far too complex:001_rolleyes:

It is still strangulation, whats this the tree has suffered high loading all it's life

Edited by Dean Lofthouse

That is a remarkable failure Nepia, thanks for showing.

The tension on the remaining straps must have been beyonfd emense.

Here's the Lime failure that we came across on the Whip foray a couple of weeks back.

Even though the presence of Kretzchmaria & Ganoderma suggested the type of decay that did for this beast, my own personal theory is that it was the extra pies that sean were munchin earlier in the day that did for her.

I'm sure just after he'd gone ahead round the corner, then we heard an almighty bang :biggrin

IMG_7064.jpg.cdbea5b43936692c5bd1b76c2f937759.jpg

IMG_7065.JPG.7f2cbd31a6305cdbb6debc517cd9cb79.JPG

IMG_7067.JPG.b0dff00306ac0508759d77134822662e.JPG