Would you have tried this?

Mozza

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not many jobs go 100% correct, i like to give things a try and then just adapt to the situation. You can never have every piece of kit with you, surroundings and conditions change all the time. Just get into it i say and get the tree on the deck as quick as possible:thumbup1:

not many jobs go 100% correct, i like to give things a try and then just adapt to the situation. You can never have every piece of kit with you, surroundings and conditions change all the time. Just get into it i say and get the tree on the deck as quick as possible:thumbup1:

Tbh I can agree with a lot of things you say but not with the above mate.

Never ever enjoyed aubbing for others when that is what they want, get it on the deck asap.

I think the risk was too great.

This wasn't a forestry situation where if the hinge had failed the tree would have hung or or banged a few other trees about.

That would have plunged his town into darkness!

Outage and cherry picker would have been the more sensible percentage solution. Not knocking the blokes skill, mind, but he wouldn't get away with it every day for a year.

Rich, crazy stuntfells to some is day to day for others. In 13 years i have done 1 reduction. And that was only because i wanted to try it. Every other job has been a take down, fell or VERY heavy reduction(topping) i think what you guys do in your reductions is harder than a bit of sneaky stuntfelling. You wouldnt catch me away out there at the end of a branch like you do, mate i dont know how you do it, respect BUT give me a tree leaning over a house, beside a river, next to a green house and a turfor or a dirty big digger then i am on it. It is just what each of us are used to doing.:thumbup1:

It is not about me, you or anyone else's skill...

it is more about the guy poo poo-ing priceless information offered by collective of people with far more experience than himself.

check out his mini notch clips. seemed to think that a gob approx 5% of the tree diameter and great big skidder to pull it over was a better method than a deeper undercut which we all no would undermine the CoG and make the tree tip alot easier...

apparently on that occasion the science was wrong and he was right.

on that ash you did yesterday would you use a 90 degree face cut approc 5 inches deep and then try to pull it over??

Probabley not would be my bet.:001_smile:

Hi Rich, i was out there playing lol. Nothing personal here mate just enjoying the banter . On the tree he did the gob is only there for the sake of having one, i would only have a hinge their to relieve the pressure rather than guide the tree, so the smaller the better and then this leaves more timber for on the side you want to hold. the first ever non text book job i was involved in with my old boss was on a beech growing straight out over a cliff, it was almost horizontal and a lot bigger than the willow that guy did. He didnt even use a hinge, a big wire rope on the the tree, just below where the trunk met the branches and i did the back cut. The jcb driver had been working on trees for over 20 years and he had it on its back wheels and was giving me either a big nod or a little nod. The tree came over and that wire was almost level to start with.:001_smile: