aspen petrol.

MattyF

I tested some Aspen in an old 166sg that had been run on regular gas/mix, and that saw did spit some sparks out the muffler allot of deposits left the saw, not sure I would like try it in new saw that had been run on regular/mix ,,,

I run all my saws on Apsen and like it, but be carefull if your saw is used to regular gas !!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have just got through my 1st 5ltrs or aspen, and been to buy some more today.

I am running it in a 372xp that had been broken in on standard 2stroke mix, it seems fine had to marginally adjust the carbs settings, but there is no smoke at all. I was cutting sycamores out of a hedge line and working in a ditch that ran up the middle of the hedge and it was a lot nicer than running the saw on normal mix. I will be switching all my newer saws/stimmers and pole saw onto it, but will probably not switch to it on my older/bigger saws.

The other thing that might just be my perception is that it seems more economical that the regular mix, it certainly seemed like i was going longer between refueling, (but again i cant confirm this!)

i am still running synthetic bar oil, but have just ordered 25ltrs of stihl bio plus for a contract for the wildlife trusts and some river owners, and dam thats expensive, i think i will try and flush the tanks before swapping bar oils thus preventing any issues with oil immulsifying.

I wanna give the stuff a go but no one is supplying it around here.

stuart browns my local saw and arborst shop is saying hes trying to get it cleared with his insurance over storage before he can stock it.....if i start using it i wanna a local supply and not have to do mail order........only managed to switch to bio bar oil so far but no big oil sploges in water now !

i wanna a local supply and not have to do mail order

Duxford hire and supply are listed as a stockist, I dont know if you get out that neck of the woods, also Collins bros at Abbotsley may have some.

luckily my local dealer stocks it, so i can pick it up when im passing. I think from my point of view its a good bussiness practise as my work is basically conservation and normally near watercourses (many of which have so many conservation designations!)

i think this is about the same cost as gas mix if not a tiny bit cheeper just regarding consumtion and purchase.

If then life of saw, wear, parts etc comes in equation, Alkylate will be cheeper for sure.

Be careful when shifting between fuels. Chances are Alkylate fuel will clean out all stuff not seposed to be there and this can bring some troubble.

Run new saws on this, i doubt you will be dissapointed.

Best is to run same fuel in the saws from start to scrap pile.

Converting alway's bring a risk.

• 2 months later...

I've been using Aspen 2t for the last 9 months and I wouldn't go back to mormal mixing. I get it in batches of about 50 (5l cans) as you then get delivery free. I changed mainly because I was feeling s*** after milling timber all day. The difference in fumes is worth the extra money to me..... Besides how much time do you spend going to the petrol station and mixing your own fuel? And let's face it you prob never get a perfect 50:1......

Yes it's expensive (especially milling)! but buy a good load of it and you'll never go back.

i think this is about the same cost as gas mix if not a tiny bit cheeper just regarding consumtion and purchase.

If then life of saw, wear, parts etc comes in equation, Alkylate will be cheeper for sure.

Be careful when shifting between fuels. Chances are Alkylate fuel will clean out all stuff not seposed to be there and this can bring some troubble.

Run new saws on this, i doubt you will be dissapointed.

Best is to run same fuel in the saws from start to scrap pile.

Converting alway's bring a risk.

Good post Magnus and I agree with you from start to scrap pile, saying that i'd like to try Aspen on the new saws I buy..

Guys, thoughs of you who don't know Magnus , i'll tell you a bit about him, i'm sure he won't mind, Magnus is an avid saw collector and USER! how many saws do you have now Magnus?,i'm sure they go into the hundreds, any chance of a picture of some of your collection?

Basicly i'd be inclined to take notice of Magnus where saws are concerned, i've known him for a number of years, and what he doesn't know about a saw may very well not be worth knowing!