aspen petrol.

MattyF

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theres a book about his life story and the firm he worked for in timber falling called the wood cutters tale and theres been a few bits about him in various arb mags.

The books got some awsome pictures of old day felling huge trees with axes ect.. i was told he was quite unwell and the doctors had put it down to years of two stroke fumes as he had never smoked.

Mervin is in fact dead.

That book is great, makes me appreciate how much easier it is now.

I have just bough another 10ltrs of aspen yesterday, had a huge ash that has blown out across a lake to do on tuesday but they guy has just called off for a month so need to cancel the telehandler and tractors i had coming!

still i think that bio oils and fules are the order of the day for this kind of work.

• 1 month later...

right then i tryed some aspen today brought 20 litres at the weekend.

This is the first time i tryed it and on a large leylandii hedge the idea being that this is the sought of job that reallly gets the exhaust fumes hanging,first off i fueled the hs 81 and my long reach pole stihl 4 stroke hedge cutter both ran fine and i felt fine after a couple of hours of cutting, usually im feeling a bit tired with the start of a head ache by this point,great i thought!put it n the 200t for the topping .....it ran fine for about 2 3rds the tank then started playing up badly any amount of tuning still would not run right,emptied the tank and filled up with normal 2 stroke run a bit better but for 1 and a half further tanks it played up...would not pick up and kept stalling but in the end was nearly running ok but has put me right off putting it in my other saws...i was looking forward to trying it on the huskys in the woods doing thinning on thurs fri but i think ill stick with normal 2 stroke.

that supprises me as the only saw i had that played up and kept stalling was my 084, and after a few tank fulls it seems to have settled down.

at least its working in the hedge cutters which you will be nearer a running exhaust for longer.

going to get some 4stroke aspen for my boats outboard next refill as well so how that goes.

Arborworks Ltd now stock the Aspen range of fuels & bio chain oil products, we are based in Nether Wallop near Stockbridge, Hampshire if any of you guys are passing, we offer good discounts to the Arb trade. So if your in the area and want to pick up some fuel drop in or give us a call on 0845 4660 284 we can deliver locally:thumbup1:

Aspen is a good fuel, but be careful when you run it in mashines that used gas/oil mix. It will clean out the saw and in doing so it might develop trash in cylinder that is likly to couse damege.

You will need to reset the carb for optimal performance.

You will not smell the differance either till all old crap is washed out and burnt up.

My advice;

Use it in new engins!

Old ones that has been run on mix should continue to do so or be torn down and cleaned really well....