Arbtalk fungi guide

Steve Bullman

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all. I'm afraid completing a Chainsaw Maintenance and Felling of Small Trees course many moons ago and a brief stint surveying for Phytophthora is pretty much the full extent of my professional involvement with forestry skills.

However, both myself and a member of another Fungus Group were most impressed with the Arbtalk Rigidoporus ulmarius threads (my route here). Thank you for an excellent resource David and fellow contributors. Looking beyond, i found plenty more of interest for fungiphiles like me.?

You lot seem like an agreeable bunch too.

Here then, is a contribution: R. ulmarius, Cornwall, 2020. I don't pretend the photo is anything special but the subject certainly was! A massive fruiting body circa 65-70 cm across and maybe 50 deep, thrusting forth from what looked like an old wound a couple of metres or so up the bole.

Along with the 'Cornish pasty' bracket margin, the upper surface algal growth, and of course that thick white flesh/thin brown tube layer contrast seen when cutting yourself a slice of 'conk cake', i find another useful (and perhaps less frequently mentioned) indicator for this fungus are these muscular, buttress-like ridges that frequently occur on the pore surface.

Cheers

Ben

IMG_7600.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ben R said:

Hello all. I'm afraid completing a Chainsaw Maintenance and Felling of Small Trees course many moons ago and a brief stint surveying for Phytophthora is pretty much the full extent of my professional involvement with forestry skills.

However, both myself and a member of another Fungus Group were most impressed with the Arbtalk Rigidoporus ulmarius threads (my route here). Thank you for an excellent resource David and fellow contributors. Looking beyond, i found plenty more of interest for fungiphiles like me.?

Here then, is a contribution: R. ulmarius, Cornwall, 2020. I don't pretend the photo is anything special but the subject certainly was! A massive fruiting body circa 65-70 cm across and maybe 50 deep, thrusting forth from what looked like an old wound a couple of metres or so up the bole.

Along with the 'Cornish pasty' bracket margin, the upper surface algal growth, and of course that thick white flesh/thin brown tube layer contrast seen when cutting yourself a slice of 'conk cake', i find another useful (and perhaps less frequently mentioned) indicator for this fungus are these muscular, buttress-like ridges that frequently occur on the pore surface.

Cheers

Ben

IMG_7600.JPG

Fine image Ben, great capture of colour and morphology ?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ben R said:

Cheers

Ben

IMG_7600.JPG

Good find I would say. Any more pics? Did you get to take a look inside?

I've been right through this thread - lots of great pics/examples! 

On page 2 Steve asked what the small blue brackets shown in Yve's post were. I think it's one of the Blueing Bracket Postia caesia 'complex'. If the substrate was coniferous, P. caesia, or if broadleaf, then P. subcaesia or P. alni.   

Yve's other fungi are or look like they might be, 1 & 3 the famous Fly Agaric Amanita muscaria, 2 is Russula. Quite possibly ochroleuca which is very common, but in most cases you need microscopy to get to species with Russula. So many lookalikes! Best guess for 4 is Plums and Custard Tricholomopsis rutilans.  

Agree with Fungus re page 8 - Armillaria.