Arbtalk fungi guide

Steve Bullman

Ramaria stricta on Salix. Found this in a mobile home park while out surveying the park trees. It is only very small but I wonder if the guys with the experience could tell me the significance please? Will there be a deeper significance below ground/on the roots? :confused1:

I don't think this is R. stricta, Marco.

I don't think this is R. stricta, Marco.

Ok I will accept your prognosis, however, (there's always one of those) it does show very distinct profiles of coral I have dived amongst in the barrier reef et al and so I am not yet convinced. Is there any other tell-tale signs David? I wish I had a better camera and the size of the fungus were bigger for me to show you. On a similar vein I posted a picture of some Ramaria sp on Beech that Gerrit commented on and it look exactly the same. I do understand that you can not determine exactly what I can see. I will keep an eye on it and see what else happens..:confused1:

Marco,

I agree, I expect this will turn out to be a fungus growing in a bundle and with caps and gills such as a Lyophyllum species or a poroid annual bracket fungus such as Polyporus umbellatus.

Bear with me Gerrit I am frantically searching an old post of mine in order to show you what it looks like a bit closer :001_smile:

Is there any other tell-tale signs David?

I will keep an eye on it and see what else happens..:confused1:

Ramaria is a genus I'm still working on Marco...........................much like all the others really :biggrin:

Can't really help on this one.

Last line is always a good MO, if one has the oportunity :thumbup1:

Have a look at my pictures on here - it looks and feels exactly like that one.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/fungi-pictures/33551-alice-holt-fungi-international-year-forestry-open-day.html

I do not question your expertise David, I do question my ident skills though, but I use your fungi directory daily so that is why I selected this genus. I will have a search through Roger Phillips and see if I see anything in there that is similar.

Marco,

I can't remember, which Ramaria you mean, but most Ramaria species are ectomycorrhizal and don't grow on (living or dead) wood.

Thanks Gerrit, I value your opinion greatly. I could (as I said to David) be looking at the wrong fungi and need to revisit a book or two. Regards :001_smile:

Marco,

That was Clavulina coralloides, not a Ramaria species, see my earlier reply.

Doh, you beat me to it. Humble apologies to you both. My haste to respond to 'coral' fungus did not preclude an identification by scientific name that Gerrit has kindly offered me in an earlier post. You see, every day is a school day in my life and despite learning the real identification of a fungus I have also learnt not to 'assume' but to confirm. Grateful to you both :blushing: Can I now ask if this has any significance to the Willow. I note that it is saprotrophic so is the proximity to the tree a clue as to what may be happening underground?? :confused1: