Worst job you ever had?

Shane

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before the days of h&s a farmer asked me to help him out by spraying up in his corn drier for saw toothed grain weevels. I remember using his old knapsack device for a couple of days,no mask, rats everywhere, i spent the next week at home either on the toilet or running to it,got so debilitated had to go to the docs in the end.

Worse was just after i left school got a saturday job at local butchers,i worked in an old poorly lit shed out the back cleaning the weeks dirty meat bins and trays using cold water and soda chrystals that took the skin off your hands.The shed also housed several used 45 gallon barrels that all the old bones and unsaleable smelly stuff went in. Meat fed rats about as long as your arm lived in the barrels, walked between my feet all day and even used to come onto my washing benches.

Think i stuck it for about 4 saturdays before i had enough of that, especially when my girlfriend at the time told me i smelled of meat of a saturday night.

good one Oldwoodcutter..

reminds me of the old pig farmer round these parts, back of his farm shop was a hole covered by two big pieces of ply.. flies everywhere.. Sneaked over as a kid and lifted one of the boards...

If it wasn't the smell that gave it away it surely was the sight, dozens of dead pigs piled on top of each other... looked like something out of Belsen...

Yea, this pig farmer was a bit of a character as well, the sort to throw a young lad into a hole full of dead pigs.. I soon got out of there, sneaked out like my life depended on it LOL...

Two temping jobs that I remember.

The first was cold calling for clearing moss from rooves. One old lady answered who had just buried her husband. I didn't go back after lunch on the first day.

Second was packing UPVC doors with frames and all furniture. It was pointed out to me that the UPVC wasn't allowed to touch the floor but there were no sack trucks or anything. I didn't realise how much a UPVC door and its frame weighed until then. I managed 1 day but couldn't walk the next day.