Kids can't fix things.

Graham

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to be honest, im a little half an half, if you put a car in front of me and said find something thats wrong i wouldnt know where to start, although my dad, growing up on a farm and living on one all his life and me too, my dad has helped me, he asked me to split some seeder discs the other week, i had a good go at it, i got him to explain how to do it over the phone and it was difficult but i managed a couple, i said ill wait till he gets home and then he can help me and he did. then i learnt something too.

ive changed brake pads and bulbs and wheels and stuff on my own car and done countless wheels on other vehicles and trailers. I really do enjoy doing something different and im never afraid to get my hands dirty, im only reluctant to when im in my non work clothes!

i can agree with people saying that this generation, which is my generation, is growing up educated but not skilled. People have to choose a skill now, years ago on farms it was pre-determined almost

i have two friends who are learning a trade, 6 others who are doing science and math degrees, another one is doing game keeping and im doing arb. the view seems to be 'ill get a degree that needs loads of work and study time and is expensive and ill be earning big money straight away' but thats the ideal, the reality is most people fresh out of uni at 20/21/22 with pieces of paper with qualifications written on them is all they have to show for those 3, 4 or more years of studying. Whereas i can stand now with NPTC and CSCS cards and get earn money in more places than they would be able to. They will tend to manage to get bar work or something thats pretty run-of-the-mill, im happy to be where i am right now. We all make our own choices to do what we want to in life. I just hope im making all the right ones for the next year or two to get me set properly.

Look at this; even mentions people less than 30 being less able!!!

http://www.psychometric-success.com/practice-papers/Psychometric%20Success%20Mechanical%20Reasoning%20-%20Practice%20Test%201.pdf

What's your score? - I'm going to do it now... no cheating!

What did you get then mate? I got a solid 13!! haha!!:thumbup1:

i have two friends who are learning a trade, 6 others who are doing science and math degrees, another one is doing game keeping and im doing arb. the view seems to be 'ill get a degree that needs loads of work and study time and is expensive and ill be earning big money straight away' but thats the ideal, the reality is most people fresh out of uni at 20/21/22 with pieces of paper with qualifications written on them is all they have to show for those 3, 4 or more years of studying.

Totally agree with that.. out of all the people I knew from school none of them are learning any sort of trade, and when I've asked what their plan is it starts "Well I'll leave Uni then get a house then.." and I'm thinking what? How?!

I think Uni has its purpose if there's a particular thing you want to do and you need particular qualifications to do it (a doctor for example), but I feel a lot of people do it partly for something to do and partly to keep in with all their friends and the social side of it.