Kids can't fix things.

Graham

Are we the last generation who can actually fix things?

Just been taking apart my lads bike to fix loss of brake light, indicators and horn. Fixed it but he hasn't a clue. At his age I had to take my bike and car apart to fix them along with other mechanical things that broke.

Maybe it's my fault but there seem to many his age that seem incapable of working things out:confused1:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop taking his bike to bits for him and make him do it himself!!! Simples!! He'll soon learn then!!! haha!!! I think that you have to be a certain type of person that looks at something and thinks "I wonder if I can take it to bits and re build it"

Just been taking apart my lads bike to fix loss of brake light, indicators and horn. Fixed it but he hasn't a clue. At his age I had to take my bike and car apart to fix them along with other mechanical things that broke.

Maybe it's my fault but there seem to many his age that seem incapable of working things out:confused1:

i do agree although i sufferd from big brother syndrome myself and got him to fix all my bikes whereas he had to learn for himself......maybe have him out with you and do it together......teach him and spend time together......no its not easy as i've just spent a painful coupkle of weeks getting a 15 year old to sand down and paint a bench.......watchiung him sand at times was like watching an anaethetised sloth at work.

Probably.

Some say it's the deskilling of society. Dole queues full of media studies graduates....

I must admit growing up I never realy had to do anything like this I used to fix my mates push bikes for a few quid from time to time but thats it. My dads always said when he was 15 he was stripping down and building new engines Ive never been taught anyhting like that sometimes I wonder what school was for.

Saying that since I started this game Ive learnt quite a bit about tractors so try and relate some of that to cars.

were not all like that

i've just finished rebuilding my landrover

my dad helped me with electrics and spraying but i did alot

i did atleast one of everything so like with axles he did the bearing oneside to show me and i did the other

there are a few kids in the landrover world who are amazing with what they can do

and how they don't seem to have learnt it anywhere

generally i do all mechanics etc myself, im 24 and have had no option but to learn myself as my dad would very rarely help me which i dont grudge coz if he had i probably wouldnt be able to do half of wat i can now

Totally. Breaks my heart to see Great Britain go down the pan; assisted by PC education producing great debaters and no engineers. H&S - can't even do woodwork at school these days. I remember pillar drills throwing wobblers, big planers hitting metal, total workshop craziness and we loved it. I admittedly resent my nephew since he is the above; highly educated but without an ounce of common sense. Winning a debating competition in Oxford, reading more books than a proof-reader won't get him home when his car breaks down, restore power to his home after a power-cut and he can't get dirty to save his life. It's all skinny jeans, ipods, Wii games, hairstyles etc etc. The most practical thing I've seen him do is sit by a Chimnea. Saying this, without revealing my age, I am no comparison to my fathers generation and his fathers; they were pure mechanical who didn't tolerate BS from garages should they need one. Remember that young mechanic of the year programme - ask them questions such as the advantages of a cross-flow cylinder head, or which expands more - alloy or iron... As Alan Sugar would say - they haven't got a blxxdy clue.

when i was about ten my dad got me a scrap engine and we stripped it completely, every bit was examined and explained how it worked, its obvious really but without being shown initially id be scratching my head wondering why mechanics are charging so much.. now im looking forward to a break from work to spend a week under the landy(s).

The problem that i now face is that i do not have time (work, family, veg patch etc) to take things apart to learn how to fix them. Current our winch is only firing on one cylinder, and this is based on talking to somebody. I could probably take it apart but it will realalistally take a number of days plus locating parts, and then re-assembling. It will take too long. Therefore i am going to have to get an engineer out to fix. Expensive but it will be done and i will have a working machine.