Yale rope eye problem

redmoosefaction

Just brought a new rope:thumbup: but the eye is really small, I can just about fit the crab into the eye, but it doesn't go over the locking mechinism.

Am I being an old school git and not up to date with me climbing technique? I have me prussic in the crab at all times then feed the rope over the branch and lock end of the rope into the crab. But once it is in it won't go to the top as the eye is too small.

The alternative is to arse around feeding the prussic in afterwards:thumbdown: which is really unsafe.

All new Yale Ropes are now produced with a tight spliced eye, this is a recent introduction. This is to prevent the karabiner moving in the eye which can then allow for side loading on the karabiner. It is also designed to prevent the eye going over the karabiner locking mechanism. i will post a picture shortly

well lets see, it could be a hand splice made by a rather well built and enthusiastic person, or it could be the old three way loading problem with the krab, ie - a krab with attatchment knot and friction knot is classed as a 3way loaded. youl need a second krab, one for attatchment knot/splice, and one for friction hitch/prussik/split-tail.

its also one of the reasons behind the oval krabs.

im afraid to say lantra have a lot to answer for.................

well lets see, it could be a hand splice made by a rather well built and enthusiastic person, or it could be the old three way loading problem with the krab, ie - a krab with attatchment knot and friction knot is classed as a 3way loaded. youl need a second krab, one for attatchment knot/splice, and one for friction hitch/prussik/split-tail.

its also one of the reasons behind the oval krabs.

im afraid to say lantra have a lot to answer for.................

John

Read nigels post

not sure what ovals have to do with it

the whole point is it cant interfere with the gate mechanism

and can still use a crab and prussick

prussick should go on first larks footed then the splice near the opening

A Real step forward in safety

Whats this got to do with lantra:confused1:

Pictures of the new Yale Splices.

When purchasing Yale Spliced Ropes ensure they carry the information as shown in the picture. If the rope you have purchased does not carry this information it has not been spliced by Yale and therefore not a CE Certified Splice.

spliced_eye_1.jpg.799c13c42a6982cd11884063c019d4c1.jpg

spliced_eye_2.jpg.cb25c2accb8725d0a062f123f02757d4.jpg