Starting out climbing when your older.

Mike Hill

I was talking about this with another forum member last week.

These days with plenty of people embarking on new careers there may be more older climbers starting out than ever before.I have never worked with any climber who has started out in their late 20's or 30's.

Personally I think that 30 is leaving it a bit too late.You'll be 35 by the time you will be any good and by that time many climbers have begun to take it easier.Also there is a boldness and invincibility factor that young people have that makes them push themselves further than older people do.Look at the forces for example.

I started at 17,now I am 31.Not been climbing long compared to some,but climbing has been what I have done,day in and out.

So I feel that most 23year olds who started at 20 would be better climbers than 33 year olds who started at 30.

Totally my opinion.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It took my body quite awhile to adjust to the tree working life at the age of 20.(an I wasnt an unhealthy unfit git either) so I could see it taking longer at 30+.

Besides I have seen a few older lads (very late 20's)trying to get into the game and tbh they arent that good and I doubt will make very good climbers.

Obviously not everyone will be the same and determination plays a big part.

Good thread Mike, should raise some interesting and usefull stuff.

I worked in an industry for ten years where working for 70 hrs without stopping was not uncommon (back to back all nighters), treework was a breeze after that.

I wonder in terms of burnout.

If like you Mike you start at 17, can you last till your'e 50. If you start later in life you don't have the same wear and tear.

You'd be a better climber than me most likely, but that may not matter too much as long as the late starter is a competent all rounder at the end of the generally agreed 5 yrs. I started in treework at about 34.

Edit. That kind of roadying, had a ten year burn out so I came into treework for a rest

Edited by Albedo

I know I do certain things differently now than even five years back.I am more concious of correct body postition and correct took use.I am less likey to just use brute force these days.

With regard to climbing,I shiver when I think about some of the things I managed to get way with ten years or so back.Although equally I now somtimes think that what I am doing sometimes now would have scared me ten years back.

Getting away with mishaps and moving on,is somthing that you do faster when you are young.

As for climbing when I am 50,yeah,I probably still will be doing some.Although I hope to be the boss of a coupleof full time crews.At least they will have a boss who has "been and done".

I was talking about this with another forum member last week.

These days with plenty of people embarking on new careers there may be more older climbers starting out than ever before.I have never worked with any climber who has started out in their late 20's or 30's.

Personally I think that 30 is leaving it a bit too late.You'll be 35 by the time you will be any good and by that time many climbers have begun to take it easier.Also there is a boldness and invincibility factor that young people have that makes them push themselves further than older people do.Look at the forces for example.

I started at 17,now I am 31.Not been climbing long compared to some,but climbing has been what I have done,day in and out.

So I feel that most 23year olds who started at 20 would be better climbers than 33 year olds who started at 30.

Totally my opinion.

I think thats a very good post, I started when I had just turned 16 and im glad did, in some ways. Its great that I will have 10+ years experience in the peak of my career, and that i have plenty of time to learn and master the craft. But will I not knacker myself out a lot quicker? I dont want to be a withering wreck when i hit my forties etc. Or is this all just me worrying? Will I manage to lead a prosperous career well into my life if i stick to healthy living and what not?

I dont want to be a withering wreck when i hit my forties etc. Or is this all just me worrying?

Thats just you worrying.

I think anyone that takes up climbing and tries to do it on a commercial level when they're past thirty is shot away. IMO it takes at least five years to learn the job which takes you to thirty five and no matter what anyone says your body is on a decline from there on and there will always be some young buck ready to jump in yer shoes.....there are some that can hack it but not many.

i think it depends at what level you want to climb at, i am 34 and hardly climb but i now go to the gym regularely and eat a lot better, i am finding this a big help, i have never been very muscular, always lean and given it 110% but my body would be sore most of the time, definately getting yourself as strong as you can will make a huge diference imo