Starting out climbing when your older.

Mike Hill

Sooooooo.

You either go to College or start a business with little experiance.

Both ideas have limited backing from this forum Dean.

This doesn't necessarily follow Mike.

I started at 34 ish and was climbing after 2 months, a couple of years later did part of an HND Arb (1st year), then a degree in Environmental Science, carried on working for others in various countries, then survived 6 years as a freelance climber working 5 days a week for 4 different companies in Cheshire (with some breaks overseas like working in NZ).

I set up on my own 2 years ago.

My pre setting up on my own experience I would submit is actually more than some others who run their own firms.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with the original post - a bit different, but with various activities like skateboarding or snowboarding, a 14 year old that has been practising for 4 years would be many times better than a 24 year old doing it for the same time...

I'll be 34 this year and I'm just starting out in this line of work. With the posts I've read it seems to suggest I save my money and not bother getting my climbing tickets. To be honest though I'm not really that bothered about climbing, I'll be more than happy being a first rate grounds worker. I suppose at the end of the day though it's like some have said, a mental determination and a desire to succeed will get you pretty much where you want to be.

I play rugby league and have plenty of determination and a mental attitude that allows me to put my body on the line week in, week out. Some of the tackles I make and the brutal hit ups I endure would have most people laid out or in hospital.......I suppose what I'm trying to say is that with the attitude to succeed, you can, it just requires effort.

Without effort, there's no reward!

sorry but skating and snowboarding are TOTALLY different, they both require natural talent to be amazing at... climbing CAN be learnt, and the longer you do it, the better you can get... i've been snowboarding for 20 years,, i still can't do a 900.....

well you know my views mike, as we discussed, i thought it was about natural ability, you cant 'teach' someone to be good, they either have it, or dont, no matter what age. and imo, the older the person starting, the less likley that natural ability will shine through, like you said, less likley to take risks, push themselves that little bit further, less likley to want to bust a gut to impress their peers or bosses, all of which leads to how good you can potentially be, because you havent done daft things, you havent learnt the limits.

even at 23 ive had a fair few climbers on trials with me, for assesments for employers, sure theres been some crap young ones, and it was blatantly obvious they just diddnt have natural ability, they were either failing to try and prove something to themselves, or trying this industry as it sounds like a cool job, and just not hacking it. but its the older climbers with low experience who have been on trials who annoyed me more. being over cautious, which leads to slowess, which is fine if working for youreself, but when its working for someone else, the climber NEEDS to be up to a commercial speed, and a casual attitude of 'ive got my tickets, it doesnt matter if im slow' and dont put the boss above them, where as the younger starters have the drive to be faster, the drive to impress their boss, as they see the boss as way above them, (rightly so)

and in my view, it is about speed. the more productive the climber, the more money the boss earns, the more money the boss earns from the climber, the more the climber is worth

I think you are being grossly negative really Mike. I have boundless respect for your experience, knowledge and drive, but the 2 best climbers i have seen are 58 (mentioned earlier) and 42. The 58 y.o got into tree work late according to you, and has a phenomenal reputation. I have worked alongside another groundy with him climbing, and 2 of us were struggling to keep the brash cleared....all day long....until about 7.30pm. He has had carpal tunnel ops, and is missing about 1/3 of one foot, but i have yet to see many that will keep up with him. It is almost like watching someone in a comp....almost.

My point is that there is no general rule IMO. A large part of it is mind over matter, and sheer determination.

I didnt get into the industry until I was 35 and started climbing after about 6 months. I was naturally fit but still found it bloody hard work.

I am now nearly 42 and climb pretty much everyday working with some very big trees and manageing a contract at Richmond Park. I have also put myself through the AA Tech Cert.

I am obviously still learning which is why i am on arb talk and tapping into the welath of knowledge on here from guys with decades of experience. I think climbing can be taught but there is also alot of natural ability involved and COMMON SENSE. Which being alot older when i came to arb I seemed to have which maybe some of the younger guys at work may not.

If you are determined, open to learning, keep yourself fit and have a genuine passion there is no reason why you cannot enter this industry in mid 30's......i am testament to it.....go for it.:thumbup:

I just tried to add this as an edit but time expired, so will be out of context.

I fully accept that those who have been in the business from younger, know more about trees than me, and are better climbers than me in general. I would not want my experience direspected by newcomers and am not disrespecting yours.

My point is that there is a place in the industry for late comers.