Starting out climbing when your older.

Mike Hill

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The point I am making is that you dont have to be a top notch climber to get on in the arb industry, or to run your own business.

In fact, if a few less firms were run by climbers then the whole industry would be a lot more professional.

The point of the thread though is about climbing ability, and as with any skill the younger you start the more you will achieve.

One has very limited capabilites when inexperianced.Should that person always work to the boundries then they will never improve.

Young people naturally push the boundries,older folks generally work within them.Bearing in mind that many or most people entering this industry at an older age will not have had such a physically demanding job.

Mike, You have opened up a very interesting debate here, I can see where you are coming from with your Young Gun bit, But, and this is the big BUT, generally I would say, Yes the earlier you start the better you will be at an earlier age, BUT, I am 52 this year, and started in the industry just ten years ago, I was slopping hogs on my fathers farm, as soon as I was old enough to hold a shovel, have done physical work all my life, I started climbing from day one, started my own business up, went to evening class at Capel Manor, and got my RFS, and I am certainly not going to stop for you or any one else.

I guess the point I am trying to make is don't tar everybody with the same brush.

PS. I am a leading Firefighter with Essex County Fire and Rescue Service, with 15 years experience, LFF's go into the burning building first, so the idea of us old uns not having the guts, determination and stanina isnt always true.

Hope you understand where I am coming from.

It seems to me this thread is revolving around fitness and not ability to be an arborist

i think this is a good point. i dont think an arborist needs to be particularly fit....i know im certainly not.

i think the key thing in climbing is aggression...but more importantly channelling that aggression.........it can go 1 of 2 ways....make you fustrated and do a poor job(to the point of giving up)....or if channelled properly, see you fight through the most arduous task you can think of.

hope that makes sense(it does in my head):001_smile:

The point I am making is that you dont have to be a top notch climber to get on in the arb industry, or to run your own business.

In fact, if a few less firms were run by climbers then the whole industry would be a lot more professional.

The point of the thread though is about climbing ability, and as with any skill the younger you start the more you will achieve.

Thanks for the clarification peter. Thats more to do with the challenge post I laid down. This requires more thought.:001_smile:

I have just re-read mikes original post and it is saying that start younger is better. So = My Bad . Its obvious that tho innit:001_smile:

I appreciate your background.However if we turn this debate into a diatribe of our achivements it will quickley become a "Urination Contest".

I venture that now more than ever older people are entering this industry.Wether thats a good thing or not vrs the typical young fella starting out is what this thread is all about.

This thread has been interesting indeed.With many valid points made by many posters.

It would now be good for some employers to chine in with their prefrences when hiring new staff.

i think this is a good point. i dont think an arborist needs to be particularly fit....i know im certainly not.

i think the key thing in climbing is aggression...but more importantly channelling that aggression.........it can go 1 of 2 ways....make you fustrated and do a poor job(to the point of giving up)....or if channelled properly, see you fight through the most arduous task you can think of.

Thats a good point.

I tell the missus to respect the Tree your are dismantling,but at the end of the day you are utilising its structure to implement its demise.You are the terminal organisim,your there to destroy its being.

I know what you mean steve, good description too, even us fit guys get to that need an aggresion kick stage at the end of a long reduction!

:confused1:Mike Hill - Would you just stop changing your avatar for just a minute. This thread is confusing my few remaining braincells as it is

Edited by Albedo
just clocked why you do that -could be a good idea