Arborist are we skilled or semi skilled

BTS

They are grass cutters, not head of the wage department.

So why would an un skilled persons opinion be considered?

The guys in the trenches will always complain.

The only way is to change your life, if you dont like others making important decisions about your life, then get out of that position. or you can just moan and not get listened to.

so be a gardener

thats the upshot

sorry if it sounds harsh but crack on

Dont listen to those miserable gits, some things are worth fighting for and just giving up aint the British way.:thumbup1:

If I hadnt spoken up when I was employed I woulda missed out on a few pay rises.

Would be a lot of people on the dole if they just moved on when things werent going as they should.

Some people dont understand that if you have a passion and take pride in your work then its easy to get upset and annoyed when they tell you its all a waste of time no one cares and a hobo could do it just as well. :sneaky2:

Some people dont understand that if you have a passion and take pride in your work then its easy to get upset and annoyed when they tell you its all a waste of time no one cares and a hobo could do it just as well. :sneaky2:

you are the only one that has mentioned hobbos, this is the 2nd time if i am not mistaken. you must have went to drama school i reckon.:001_rolleyes:if some have so much pride and passion then surely they will have the determination and courage to work for an employer that appreciates their skill or work for themselves. :001_smile:

you are the only one that has mentioned hobbos, this is the 2nd time if i am not mistaken. you must have went to drama school i reckon.:001_rolleyes:if some have so much pride and passion then surely they will have the determination and courage to work for an employer that appreciates their skill or work for themselves. :001_smile:

IIRC you were the fist one to mention a hobo.:001_rolleyes:

Actually I meant from people on here not there employer. :001_smile:

Appart from NPTC's which don't make you skilled all the quals and learning that I have done were for my own benefit, not anyone elses. I know what I can and can't do and so long as i'm making money I dont really care how that relates to others in the same game.

I think this is a pretty pointless debate. Its just semantics, you can put me in any pidgeon hole you like...I couldn't care less:001_tt2:

Edited by John Shutler

Appart from NPTC's which don't make you skilled all the quals and learning that I have done were for my own benefit, not anyone elses. I know what I can and can't do and so long as i'm making money I dont really care how that relates to others in the same game.

I think this is a pretty pointless debate. Its just semantics, you can put me in any pidgeon hole you like...I couldn't give a ****:001_tt2:

:dito::congrats:

Totally agree Tom, if I make the money I do as an unskilled or semi-skilled worker, I'm doing even better than I thought!!!!:thumbup:

As far as working for the council goes, I know how much I would want to do my job, if they won't pay it I won't work for them. What others are earning is of no interest to me and what I earn is no one else's business.

If the councils can get cutters and climbers for the money they are offering they will not pay more (why should they??)

Tube drivers get over £34K, why?? because they could not get enough staff when they paid them less, so they had to up the rate till they could get enough staff to operate.

WE are the ones who should set our wage, I will only work for those who will pay me what I ask.

Unfortunately our profession is all too popular (you only need to read all the threads on hear from people wanting to get into our job) the more of use there are the less employers will have to pay.

I could see a time when grass cutters get more than climbers, because who wants to cut grass?????????

This thread runs and runs doesn't it.

Whether you own a business or are employed you are still effectively in business. The skill of business is persuading people you are worth what you want to be paid. Whether thats by doing the best job or by being the quickest.

If you can do a job in a way that means you can make a good profit (or wage) whilst finding enough people who want you to do it, you have won. This is a skill just as important as climbing.

I see myself as a business man who, for 7 years, made tree work his business.

I have certificate, diploma and degree level qualifications but on days I had nothing to do I would take out a mower, strimmer and blower and cut grass. I would usually charge about £40 a pop and do about 4 or 5 gardens a day. On those days people saw me as a bloke who mowed lawns for a living. I saw myself as a bloke with a couple of hundred quid in my pocket that I didn't have at the start of the day.

Stephen, Rupe and Skyhuck seem to have it pretty much sorted. Do your thing and who cares what anyone else thinks. Skilled or semi-skilled, who cares.

I appreciate i'm new to this forum and my opinion prob isn't the most popular but its just my opinion. :thumbup1:

I appreciate i'm new to this forum and my opinion prob isn't the most popular but its just my opinion. :thumbup1:

every ones opinion is equal in here mate, you think the same as me, money is money. Whether its from being a super dooper climber or a bramble whacker with an old syth. wonga is the reward:thumbup:

every ones opinion is equal in here mate, you think the same as me, money is money. Whether its from being a super dooper climber or a bramble whacker with an old syth. wonga is the reward:thumbup:

Thats good to know, I started coming on here and actually posting cos i'm really interested in the subjects but also because I find this kind of interaction with so many different people fascinating. There are so many personality types on here, all interacting together. I just dont want to be one of those who only posts to disagree or argue with someone. I dont think there is a single person on here who couln't learn a lot from listening to all the different opinions given. :thumbup1: