Big monkey puzzle to fell. Any timber value?

shillo

It does have a value but for some reason it’s just not very popular it’s only a Pine but I have made some nice stuff from it and sold a fair bit but we had the Whole tree and probably have a third left after a good few yrs

I milled some very large logs for a client once. They owned a liveable castle, and wanted some tables - large! Only the very centre boards (21' long, 4½' wide and 6" thick ) were kept for this. Other boards were cut thinner, but didn't really do it for me. - Too much going on with all the knots. Even with the lucas mill at its best, it was difficult to keep straight cuts as blade constantly alternating between rock hard knots and really soft intermediate trunk wood. 

The table pieces were lifted up over the steps into the front door and onto 2 waiting powered barrows to get them into the correct rooms. Even after kilning still over 350kg per slab.

Another castle/ hotel I worked at, smaller diameter trees, got me to simply cross cut each whorl of branches,  then sent them away to be bowl turned. One for each guest room +larger ones in foyers, dining and lounges. - never saw the outcome.

Messy, oily, difficult wood to mill. Wouldn't be my choice timber.