Air rifle advice please

Saw-sick Steve

After the worst season I can remember for squirrel damage - they've even had most of the apples - I'm in the market for a new air rifle. Currently have a very old Feinwerkbau .22 break-barrel carbine but would like to upgrade to a modern PCP. Thinking .177 over .22 for range and accuracy and looking at Gamo as an affordable option, basically BSA made under licence?

Any other makes to consider? Any advice welcome, Cheers in advance

.22 all day long, yeah yeah .177 is faster but you want knock down power and nothing hits harder than a 16 or 18grain pellet in .22.

Check out your local shop and buy something decent & second hand, probably £300 with a scope. Probably air arms as they're pretty abundant especially the older S410.

Personally, also get a few traps to pick up the slack when you're not shooting.

• Like 1

Cage trap. Much more effective than an air rifle.

As for air rifles, I would always favour a .22 over .177 for hunting/live quarry just because it delivers more killing power imo. I don't think any difference in accuracy (if there is one) would ever be noticed, it is an endless argument though.

If on a budget buy second hand, a lot of people buy a gun and then realise they have nowhere to shoot it and it's not for them so sell off a practically unused gun.

If it were me I would be looking at Air Arms as well, Weight of the gun is a big thing so go as light as you can find unless you are just shooting out of the living room window like I do and so don't carry it.

TX200 HC .22 is my current air rifle, weighs too much but can drop rabbits and crows at over 50 yards which is incredible for an air rifle. It will put 5 pellets in the same hole at 15 yards too if I do my bit.

edyt: Gareth beat me to it but pretty much said the same thing.

Edited by Peasgood
  • Like 2

I would also say avoid the gimmick CO2 traps have been an utter failure for me.

Might work in a garden setting where food is limited by what gets put out, cage traps and peanut butter works like a charm especially once it gets a bit colder.

• Like 1

Another vote for the Airarms S410 here, i borrow my dads now n then and when i first used it some 10 yr ago i was so impressed with it i found it hard to believe that i could stone rabbits with it at 50yds plus, the gun now is some 12yr old and still packs a punch and has been very reliable, again i would say 22 over 177 due to the ease of loading the magazines, the 177 mags are to bloody fiddly for me,,

• Like 1

Cage traps all day long. 

Round here squirrels seem most active just after dawn and in the late afternoon and a trap is never off duty.  Catching 30-40+ a year and this does make a dent in the local population.

I will also shoot using an air rifle [.22] but they are quite wary and hard to get close to.  Takes a lot of time and trouble and it's not many added to the total.  

Like GarethM have tried the CO2 cartridge traps and had absolutely no luck with them

I actually loose count of how many I shoot and feel a little guilty when it's double digit outings, I try to head out once every two weeks or more depending on weather.

Say 130+ in an average year, so some very happy birds of prey when I'm seen in the woodland.

Trapping probably a couple a week, depending on how many traps I've set but these are more in the garden or at the parents.