beginner chainsaw advice

Milkgod

12 hours ago, kram said:

Haven't seen my tiny shed or car boot! Ofcourse a business is going to have a large lockup and a decent sized space in a tipper truck.

You dont have to use a longer bar. With a 372 you get the option and 30 seconds to swap it, so 1.3kg is the difference.

The real difference is it will use more fuel, if you are walking along a rail clearance where the fuel can may be with somone a mile away,  it could get annoying.

That 1.3 kg is probably nearer 2 kg once you fill the oil and fuel tank up and the fact the 70cc feels a lot bigger would, for me, not make it comparable to a 50cc machine.

On 15/08/2024 at 11:16, kram said:

You dont need a £500 saw. I think the maximum bar length is 16" but that doesnt mean you cant fit a shorter bar on a more useful, bigger saw.

I did my CS31 with a cheapy McCulloch CS340 16" that Lidl were selling for £99. My trainer/assessors saws were not in good running condition so thats why I insisted I use my own. The cs340 did the job but is far less powerful than a pro saw of the same engine size, so wouldnt recommed it.

Whatever saw you use must have the warning labels, but you can buy the stickers off ebay should you get a used saw or import thats missing them.

I know most dislike the pattern/clone saws but

I am quite happy with my Farmertec G372XP, its a bit bigger than they might expect, you can fit a 16" bar no issue. At 72cc it has enough power for most ground work. I see little point in also having a 35-60cc ground saw when this can do everything.

(It did not come with the warning stickers)

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Chainsaw type Holzfforma single cylinder 2 stroke engine. Chain Sprocket Standard 7 tooth 3/8" pitch. Total Mass Without bar and chain 6.8kgs...

Sod that!!! Do you want arms at the end of the day 💆‍♂️💆‍♂️ 550 mk2 

27 minutes ago, kram said:

Yes after work I like to go rock climbing about 3 days a week. Perhaps having strong arms already, a bigger saw is no problem for me.

You sound like quite an expert.

What saw do you recommend for phat trunks? 

49 minutes ago, manco said:

thinking about it all you really need is a 201T on a 12inch and a 500i on a 25 inch

between them those two will tackle just about anything

Great saws, but the OP is after a ‘beginner saw’, I think you’d get turned away for turning up with saws that are either one-handed or have the power of a small motorbike! Neither would be ideal for leaning about kickback.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

Great saws, but the OP is after a ‘beginner saw’, I think you’d get turned away for turning up with saws that are either one-handed or have the power of a small motorbike! Neither would be ideal for leaning about kickback.

party pooper!

• Haha 2