Im doing a health and safety course, and a topic Im looking into is the advantage of wearing chin straps on safety helmets (not just arb)

Treemover

Probably a lot of habit in this but when climbing, which I very rarely do these days, I normally use the chinstrap as it's on the climbing helmet and I'm used to it.

When on the ground I never use one as it's not on the ground helmet, I never have had one on a ground helmet and don't see the need.

I don't really find them comfortable, but they're not mega uncomfortable.  Never had a problem with helmet falling off my head.  Occasionally they're a bit faffy, but mostly I've got bigger problems than adjusting a chinstrap.  All that said, I wouldn't want one on a ground helmet as I just don't see the need.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

As above really.

I hardly ever wear my ground lid now anyway, the Petzl is lighter and more comfortable.

Chipper spec muffs and it covers everything really.

You don’t even notice a properly adjusted chinstrap.

As above.

• Like 1

Price is not an issue for myself when purchasing a new helmet. I've always used a chinstrap when climbing, but not when working on the ground. I automatically assume a climbing helmet will come with a chinstrap as standard, so I just expect it in the price. I don't feel they're a faff or uncomfortable to use. 

Your question was also saying "not just arb".

This is the point where it all changes. I think it becomes a dynamic risk assessment type affair. 

In my view, it is all about the role the PPE plays in the task. (if that sounds right). 

As said, where there is an inversion and it might be dislodged, yes use strap

Where there is impact or chance of it being snagged, caught and then becoming a strangulation risk, no, dependant on risk it could be yes. 

Where there is speed (motorcycles) or risk of being blown off, yes.

Lastly, my pet hate, the chin straps with the cup that sits on your chin....they were banned on bikes as they caused more injuries than they save I thought. Hate em.

• Like 1

Not from tree climbing but if my feet are off the ground, anything that can fall is tied to me - helmet included (pencils on bits of string, cameras, spanners, everything).

Seen plenty of helmets being chased across various sites when the wind picks up too - but I'd make a decision on that on the weather conditions

7 hours ago, Bob_z_l said:

Your question was also saying "not just arb".

This is the point where it all changes. I think it becomes a dynamic risk assessment type affair. 

In my view, it is all about the role the PPE plays in the task. (if that sounds right). 

As said, where there is an inversion and it might be dislodged, yes use strap

Where there is impact or chance of it being snagged, caught and then becoming a strangulation risk, no, dependant on risk it could be yes. 

Where there is speed (motorcycles) or risk of being blown off, yes.

Lastly, my pet hate, the chin straps with the cup that sits on your chin....they were banned on bikes as they caused more injuries than they save I thought. Hate em.

Snagging spooks me - maybe the main reason I haven’t taken to climbing trees.

15 years ago my daughter went for her first climbing session at the local sports centre aged 4. Too light to trigger the auto-belays by just leaning back, the instructor asked her to turn round and jump off the last foothold to get it going. It worked the first couple of times but the third time she caught the back of the helmet on a hold as she jumped and was strangled by the strap. The poor instructor raced up the wall unattached to pick her off as her eyes rolled up white and she started fitting.  Didn’t do any harm or stop her becoming a competitive climber later, but they stopped putting kids in helmets on the auto-belays soon after.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3