Clients Says Her Trees Are Too Big

Few days ago i was hired by a lady  who stated that her oak trees are far too big and wanted them reduced, i was very hesitant since there was nothing wrong with them that i could see, the crown looked nice and healthy and no visible defects for ground level. So i asked why she wanted them reduced and do the trees cause her any problems.  She didnt really give any justifcation she just  replied with  "they dont cause me any problems they are just too big". In the end i polietly declined the job since i didnt see any need to reduce them.

But on the way back it got me thinking.

How would you deal with a client like that or similar situation and what would you do or say?

If you don’t do it the next man will!

I’ve given up getting hung up on it. Price strong and hope you don’t get it, if you do get it you earn well. 

unless it’s an absolute cracker of a tree then morally you have to stop but your average semi decent tree will grow back, if it didn’t we would all be out of work!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bolt said:

She sums up the mindset of a vast number of domestic customers in my opinion.

The biggest surprise is she didn't really give a reason. Normally there's the usual list of leaves to clean up, shade, scary in the wind etc given as reasoning.

There would be considerably less work around if folk didn't think this way!

• Like 1

I remember someone saying to me once that it's rarely about the tree, it's about where the tree is. Put any tree that doesn't 'need' work done in a garden and it'll need lots done, soon!

• Like 3

Ive had one say trees get  "out  of control" as a reason for wanting to masscare some  trees 200m from house  so not any of the above normal issues.

There opinion was  all trees in the countryside as a whole  need to be regulary topped so as to  kept "under control"  🤔

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stere said:

There opinion was  all trees in the countryside as a whole  need to be regulary topped so as to  kept "under control"  🤔

This kind of person should take up miniature railways as a hobby. They can have scale-model trees as small as they want then. 

• Like 2

There was once we removed several Connie's from beside a railway because they were blocking light and causing moss to grow on the scenery. Real moss was the wrong scale, 00 gauge iirc, double track all round a large garden.

• Like 1

I try to use a car analogy with customers when they seam to think their trees needs a 'service' because it hasn't had any previous work done and must be due. Most trees just want to be left alone unless there is a customer requirement to reduce/lift/thin etc.

My most common frustration is when a customer thinks a 70% reduction will benefit the tree and allow it to come back rejuvenated! Trying to explain that topping the crap out of it will look awful and if it survives will look shocking and not just a smaller version of what they have at the moment as they expect.

All that aside though... I believe if they really want it done and you have explained the risks/results etc then take the money and get it done. Just make sure you tidy up well, it is what this type of customer will notice the most.

• Like 2