Iveco LPG

Ty Korrigan

So I find myself at a crossroads.

I need a new truck though ideally if it can make one more year, that would be a great help to me.

I am also looking at tracked MEWPs in order to reduce my dependency on capricious subby climbers.

The truck...

I work around a large city that will soon become an ULEZ 

I also do very few kms, around 10k and often the truck barely reaches operating temperature locally.

I understand that gas is cleaner and better for short journeys.

I have seen a 7.2t Daily LPG auto box, 4 years old 70k kms

Anyone an opinion on LPG engines?

Stuart

2 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

So I find myself at a crossroads.

I need a new truck though ideally if it can make one more year, that would be a great help to me.

I am also looking at tracked MEWPs in order to reduce my dependency on capricious subby climbers.

The truck...

I work around a large city that will soon become an ULEZ 

I also do very few kms, around 10k and often the truck barely reaches operating temperature locally.

I understand that gas is cleaner and better for short journeys.

I have seen a 7.2t Daily LPG auto box, 4 years old 70k kms

Anyone an opinion on LPG engines?

Stuart

Think long and hard.

You become dependent on the garages that sell it, make sure you have a local one and that it’s not going to shut.

Your MoT centre may not be licensed to MoT it.

The tanks will only hold 80% of their alleged capacity.

• Like 1

One assumes it's petrol and LPG, I ran a LPG car for years it was absolutely brilliant mpg wise but that cars long since gone and died after 120k miles.

In the UK tho, its still available but they have been removing the pumps as it's popularity has reduced, was mostly high miles guys and taxis that are now running these hybrids.

On a truck I'd be tempted to spend the money on a newer euro 6+ diesel, better the devil you know and all that.

Been running a petrol/gas wagon for 6 years.

Pro's : you double your range,assuming that Iveco retains the petrol tank.

Cons: none really. I commute and quote on gas and tow on petrol. 

• Like 1

LPG is supposed to burn super clean and hence if anything help the engine last longer.

I thought hard about it 20 years ago when driving a petrol car 300 miles a week, but conversion was expensive and it already had 140k on. Kept it a bit longer then changed to diesel in the end.

I have known a few people that had LPG conversions done - all ended up only using petrol as they kept getting problems with the gas.  I even knew one person who had a factory fitted LPG Mercedes sprinter - also running on petrol as the LPG side never worked.

I was doing 500+ miles a week exclusively on gas at the time driving all over the country, blew an LPG ECU in the beginning.

Both me and an ex had conversions and similar weekly mileage, petrol use was 5 minutes. Kept the petrol barely above red light, as a 200 mile drive with it lit gets a bit annoying after the first couple of hours!.

Engine oil came out almost as clean as it went it every six of months.

Seems LPG use has declined & now nearly gone extinct in UK.

But seems  a good sytem that makes sense

Might be handy if france has ULEZ? (Paris is supposedly banning diesel etc in 2025 might other cities follow?)

This says its still growing but maybe is PR?

AUTO-GAS.NET

Autogas keeps expanding in France as 4,528 new LPG-powered vehicles were registered in January 2023, compared to 2,939...

& only 4000 is still  very small percentage of new vechicles?

No good of all the LRG gas stations are gradually closed down  esp 5yrs time etc.