Installation of habitat in trees

15 minutes ago, daltontrees said:

The consultant has specified what is to be done. No need to know why.

There’s no need, but there’s interest, at least from Dan and me.

Why do you think he specified that?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dan blocker said:

Am I understanding this right or not? Your removing a hollow section of a stem from one tree and fixing it to a tree near by as habitat🤔.  Why! It’s better left where it is surely? It’s perfectly formed and fixed? Just reduce the weight to make it safe and revisit in couple of years!

My guess would be to prevent the risk of regrowth above the hollow on a manky pop, that then doesn’t get revisited in a timely fashion.

however I would want the consultant to spec the reattachment method. I’m insured to cut them down not glue them back up again!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, daltontrees said:

Wedge it into a coppice stool at waist height and send the bill then. 

He's got more written after his name than in the spec. I don't think a bit of clarification is too much to ask for.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I've got a growing pile of bits of wood with old pruning wounds and rot pockets that I'll be turning into habitat and reinstalling up in trees. I'll have to add an additional roof to some pieces in an effort to keep water out. Probably drill a few drainage holes too.

Wedged into crotches with a minimal bit of string, maybe a wooden peg or two, would be the way I'd go if they are unlikely to fall on any traffic below, but I'd be going for belts and braces (literally) if there's any chance of an innocent bystander getting a birdhouse to the brain.  

In a similar vein, I found this lovely little nest earlier today. No residents this year.

20240518_154710.thumb.jpg.031cc7053cde9f40fbf6243d64893786.jpg

• Like 1

Like most things a few phots might help? A piece 600mm diameter depending on length is going to be quite heavy. It will also deteriorate quickly so will have to be wrapped in netting wire to prevent anything dropping? 

12 hours ago, daltontrees said:

Apologies for having an inquisitive mind. But repositioning decaying poplar into another tree as habitat is bordering on complete bollocks. Go and source some oak with a hollow and it’ll last for years. What’s going to use a hollow in 600mm diameter lump of wood as habitat? A black bear?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, AHPP said:

If you want to encourage nature, scatter fridges etc about the place. That's durable housing.

hard to install in trees though! 

• Haha 1