Ash Die Back - when does it become unsafe?

sime42

6 hours ago, Stere said:

Least the  roof looks like tin rather than an asbestos one?

Yes, the barn is clad in tin all over. They'd like to get rid and replace it with something nicer, but probably not keen enough for me to hasten the process!

1 hour ago, sime42 said:

Is that assessment based on the fact that it has Die Back, so that much weaker, or a general feeling on long laterals like that? I'd be pretty confident in it being doable if it were a normal healthy tree, I quite like a challenge. It didn't look that bad from the ground.

Just if it's got dieback. No problem jumping around on the tips if it's healthy, but you'll not want to put your anchor as high, and definitely won't get as far out, even if it's only in the early stages. I was up a wee ash with early die back before Christmas, you wouldn't know it had it from a distance, but as soon as you start kicking around in it it's obvious. And the mess! Matchsticks everywhere. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sime42 said:

Is that assessment based on the fact that it has Die Back, so that much weaker, or a general feeling on long laterals like that? I'd be pretty confident in it being doable if it were a normal healthy tree, I quite like a challenge. It didn't look that bad from the ground.

I'm going to use a MEWP now anyway, but just trying to gather knowledge on the implications of Chalara for my own future reference really.

Last year, fully dressed in it's leaves, that tree didn't look too bad at all, you could barely see anything amiss with it.

Both!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sime42 said:

Last year, fully dressed in it's leaves, that tree didn't look too bad at all, you could barely see anything amiss with it.

Be wary of classifying Ash trees looking "not too bad at all" based on a new norm for Ash trees (because of ADB) - there's an isolated specimen in the middle of the estate where I live and, granted it's semi-mature so good vitality, but I sometimes have to remind myself what species it is because it really does "fully dress" (see p.11 of the attached. - p.14 shows the 'recognised' 4 stages (classes) of decline (Stage 3 & 4 = MEWP / grapple-saw etc.)

Tree-Council-Ash-dieback-tree-owners-guide-FINAL.pdf

• Thanks 1

Climbing, anything's possible. You don't actually need to go out very far, if at all. Conservatively tip tie with a pole and lift them up and in. Butt tie everything to the trunk too in case your hinges don't work well enough. Portawrap on a car in the yard if no lifting bollard. You'll probably get some snaps but the building will probably be fine. 

But that's all a hell of a lot more effort and risk than just getting a cheap picker. Any old thing can get in there. Even if someone came with a little one on a Land Rover for an hour, you'd get the difficult branches done. 

I wouldn't say the ADB is a massive consideration. I'd be reaching for the picker because it's easier and safer, whatever the species and condition. It's a bit of a consideration though. 

Edited by AHPP
  • Like 2

I know I could certainly could climb it, with the grcs I would lift everything up and away I would balance the limbs horizontal. 

However the anchor points are not looking great that's going to be a lot of physical climbing a lot of hard work 

So id also push for a mewp 

• Like 2

Extra thing to think about. Base of tree relatively inaccessible. Up and down to settle pieces, fence in the way, in the way of rigging bollard. Just hassle. Picker and rasher it.

• Like 1